What are you Reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heinleinfan, May 8, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I'm an avid reader and I mostly stick with science fiction and fantasy, as well as some nature writing.

Just curious if anyone wanted to talk books, perhaps share some recommendations, I'm always looking for more things to read!

Currently I'm in process of reading a fantasy series by Jim Butcher; he has an urban fantasy series called The Dresden Files that I am a HUGE fan of, they are absolutely delightful to read. Having run out of those, and having to wait for the next one to be printed, I'm giving his "Codex Alera" a try. It's a series where he branches into a more pure fantasy. I'm enjoying them, the magic system in the books is very intriguing.

I'm also going back to some 70's/80's pulp classics and rereading The Horseclan novels by Robert Adams. Recommended for when you just wanna sit back and read about folks on horses charging into battle with swords all RAWR!, or if you like an interesting, sweeping post-apoc story.

2. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Right now I'm working on God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by the late great Christopher Hitchens.

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I am reading Queen Rearing Simplified by Jay Smith. Most all I read pertain to bee's, tree's, gardening and wine making. :grin: By the way, does anyone receive GRIT magazine? My sister gave me a subscription for Christmas, pretty good rural magazine.

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

I am reading the bible and books about bees.

kebee

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I am reading beekeepingforums.com

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

"Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun"; plus beekeepingforums.com :thumbsup:

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

And as far as science fiction, everything that Ray Bradbury ever wrote.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my reading is often quite mixed. when I was much younger I did read a good bit of science fiction. now days most is either history or economic history in nature. I just finished reading Hayek's 'Road to Serfdom'.... save yourself the time and effort and money of this book. It has almost nothing to do with economics and is poorly written. Anyone that might tell you that this book changed their thinking likely has a very weak mind.

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

:) We must be going to the same library, kebee.

And, as Iddee stated ...beekeepingforums.com ;)

I read very, very little fiction anymore.

Ed

10. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I used to read Nancy Drew Mysteries 40 years ago...Then, I read The Thorn Birds, 30 years ago. Since then, other than "have tos" in college. I have only read non-fiction art books, science - bird, bugs, wildlife. Gardening (especially Japanese gardening and landscaping) Lately the Bible and beekeeping catalogs! and of course, beekeepingforums.com :thumbsup: My daughter wants me to start reading the Clan of the Cave Bear series...thinking about it!

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Don't read fiction anymore, like reading about the archaeologist finds on ancient civilzations and the things they could do that we can't do now??? Gardening, bees,plants, and wildlife. Jack

12. Marbees

Marbees Member

I used to read more fiction books when I was younger, but now days it's much harder to get my attention.:smile:
    Still enjoy reading Margaret Atwood's books. Like her style and use of language.
    Now, I mostly read about bees, gardening, orchards and other "applied arts".:razz:

13. pturley

pturley New Member

I've been stuck on a series of biographies lately...

I just completed David McCollough's "Mornings on Horseback" about Theodore Roosevelt a few weeks ago and am about half-way through "Reluctant Genius: Alexander Graham Bell and the Passion for Invention" by Charlotte Gray.

I still have several addition books yet to go but one I am looking forward to reading:
    "They Called Me Mad: Genius, Madness, and the Scientists Who Pushed the Outer Limits of Knowledge" by John Monahan.

This is a series of short biographies about various scientists and inventors that changed the way people think.

14. Summer1052

Summer1052 New Member

Very fond of Heinlein, Bradbury and Clarke! I was the only girl in jr. high the science geeks (could) would talk to. Got lots of free math tutoring by being well read! :thumbsup:

Always have several things open at once. Currently reviewing some Catholic apologetics, The Idea of America, and the latest Nora Roberts. Just finished rereading The Merchant of Venice. And one my daughter brought home from the school library -- title escapes me -- something about teen aged body guards / body doubles for princesses. Very cute and well done, actually. Always reread some Jane Austen over the summer, and I want to catch up on some Mercedes Lackey, too. More books than time, of course.

See you at the optometrist's office!
    ​Summer

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

does sound like some interesting topics there pturley. a while back I read 'Empire of Light' (can't recall the author) but it was a good read about the folks that brought us into the electrical age.

16. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I'm reading The Beekeeper's Lament, I'm only on chapter 2 but it's good so far.

17. pturley

pturley New Member

Excellent book... ...I read this last winter.

18. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Woohoo! Girl geek power!

19. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Some non-fiction recs, then

There seem to be a high number of non-fiction readers, I thought I'd throw out a couple recommendations of some nature writers I like.

If you've not ever read any David Quammen, I can not recommend him enough. Absolutely fantastic nature writing. He spent many years writing a column for Outdoors magazine, so some of his books are collections of those articles and they are really great for wanting something short and quick to read. You can just enjoy one or two articles at a time while you're waiting for bread to rise or dinner to cook, heh. He also has a number of longer books on single topics, one of my favorites being Monster of God; it's about large predator beasts and how they are surviving (sometimes barely) in a world controlled now by men.

I also really love Michael Pollan's writing. His most recent works all focus on different aspects of our industrialized food systems; he's a very opinionated man and if your opinions don't match his those might not be up your alley. But his older works are more generalized and a bit less opinionated, and one book, Botany of Desire is an absolutely fascinating look into modern plant cultivation.

20. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I plowed through most of beekeeping for dummies last night. Then, for something lighter, I read the forwards from ABC XYZ of Bee Culture. My eyes were done at that point. I'm going to bring my glasses home this weekend to see how far I can get in that 1k page tome.