What bees can do in their spare time

Discussion in 'Bees' started by efmesch, Jul 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Looking back at two pictures from early this spring, when I cleaned out my hives in preparation for the season, I found these "burr comb" constructions on the floor of one hive.
    Interesting. DSC00274.jpg DSC00275.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

And we keep them in square boxes. :???: :lol:

Isn't it funny that most of our planets creatures build their homes in "round" configurations but we humans think square!

Nice pics, and yes, it is curious.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

efmesch,
    great photos! perhaps your bees will building burr comb as obstructions or 'road blocks' to confuse foreign bees entering the hive?! :lol:
    mine just do it from the bottoms of the frames to the bottom board in big clumps to aid in traveling the frame, once in awhile some small round sections .....i think your bees are more artistic :lol:
    amazing where they build this stuff, and very curious as perry said.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I always heard those were called "ladders" to help the bees get up into the frames.

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

An artistic expression, very talented bees:thumbsup::wink:

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

efmesch, what breed are those bees? I am wondering if different breeds of bee produce different styles of burr comb. I have never seen any burr like that in any of my Italian colonies.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Reading an ancient bee book, by Moses Quimby, from 1893 , he talks about watching bees start comb building, and they just build anywhere to start with, then they repurpose that wax when a structure starts to form.... So I am guessing these blobs are just beginnings.

I do see some like this occasionally when I have a large gap on sides when new frames are pushed very tightly together.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

To the best of my knowledge, they are Italians, the "standard" bees used in Israel. In recent years other races have been imported and used in breeding experiments, but I haven't bought a queen in over 25 years, so there is no reason to think that mine have "drifted" over to another race.

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I have 2 hives with this and I think I started them doing it, when I cleaned the tops of the frames of some burr parts fell to the bottom and where they dropped I ended up with these, I think some hives just start building where they find wax:lol: