What builds wax faster?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm planning on changing my configuration from 1 deep 2 mediums to just 2 deeps. This will mean adding a deep box full of frames and foundation on top of my 1 deep and under the 2 mediums. The mediums will become honey supers.

What would draw out the new deep frames faster;
    Setting up a couple of deep nucs with newly mated queens and let them make wax and then transfer these frames over to the new deep box when I get enough frames drawn; or, just put the new deep brood boxes on top of the old brood boxes when the flow starts and let the bees "have at it"? Or does it not really matter because if there is a flow on wax is gonna get made regardless?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Put the new deep on the old deep and move about 4 frames up into it and put the 4 empties in the lower deep. Space them full, empty, full, empty, across the box.

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

The best comb builder is a swarm. The second best is a strong (large) colony with a flow or 1:2 sugar syrup. A percentage of any hive has to attend the nursery, guard duty and house cleaning, so small hives are not as productive.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

So I don't need to worry about breaking up the brood nest? I guess I'm gonna be breaking it up anyway since the bees are using the middle medium box for some brood and now that box will be the 3rd box up instead of the 2nd.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

In New Jersey, I would mostly move brood up and other full frames down. Spacing every other one shouldn't hurt, unless you have a real deep freeze.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

No deep freezes in the forcast for the next 10 days. I'm going to wait until the Maples bloom.
    I suppose I'm just being somewhat greedy. I want to run 2 deep boxes but I don't want to tie up the bees building wax when they could be making me some glorious honey! I just gotta let it happen though lol.
    Just think, last year I didn't get my bees till the last week in April and they've turned two nucs into three over-wintered hives and built 15 deep frames and 56 medium frames full of comb.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

So make 2 into double deeps and stack the supers on the other. Should give you 60 + lb. of honey off the one.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Or does it not really matter because if there is a flow on wax is gonna get made regardless?

tecumseh:
    what is actually required is a large number of young 2 week old worker bees. so if you thing 21 days (for going from egg to newly emerged worker) + 2 weeks and begin adding syrup and/or a natural flow at the front side of this time horizon to build up the population of this group of young workers, then you invariable get comb drawn. the worker bee then only has a very limited time window in which it can produce new wax via it's wax gland.

you can (people have) set up strong colonies with young queens then arranged the top box pretty much like iddee describes above (keep pouring in just a dribble of syrup on a regular bases) to get comb drawn. some folks set up 'comb drawing hives' in just this manner.