What determines the price you charge for your honey ?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Oct 1, 2012.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

My local bee club has a gentlemen's / ladies agreement with each other to charge whatever the average price is for our region according to one of the leading Bee magazine. For example Bee Culture magazine has Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Louisiana in Region 6 and the price for a quart of honey was $11.46 for the month of June. So our June selling price was $13 with the extra $1.54 going toward the cost of the jar and lid.

How do you figure a fair price? No one in our club has any problem selling their honey which makes me think we may be selling it just a little on the cheap side.

2. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I set my own price. Walmart charges anywhere from $2.95 to 3.50 for a 12 oz bear jar of honey the buyer has no idea where the honey came from. Some craft stores, state parks are selling the same for $6 +.

I resist anyone telling or suggesting to me what I should charge. Way I look at it, if I'm too expensive I'll be sitting on my honey for a long while.:grin:

For me, my time and effort it's worth $5. I don't spend a lot of time worrying what others are charging (not saying anything wrong with that) But, I didn't get into the hobby solely to make money. IF I make a few bucks GREAT. Can the buyer find it cheaper, yea probably, but I know mine is clean and local.

Good Luck, Wayne.

Jim

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Wayne, i guess it's what the market will bare? I sell quarts at $13.00 pints $7.00 out my front door, but at the farmers market booth,quarts $13.50 and pints $7.50 to pay for the set up fee at the market. If they bring my glass jars back clean i give them $ .50 off their next purchase. At our town festival last weekend (yesterday) i kept the same prices, although the extra set up fee was $75.00,I had a man from Iowa ask what the set up fee was, he laughed and said in Iowa it would be $300.00,guess i shouldn't complain. There were two other venders at the festival and i had customers tell me one was selling quarts at $16.00 and the other at $18.00 a quart, also i was selling honey sticks 5 for a dollar and some kids said they got ripped off from one of the other venders, they had to pay three for a dollar. ( i make some on them but i do it for the kids, and adults in there second childhood:lol:) I made enough to help(i said help) keep the Bee supply co.'s and queen breeders in buisness and to justify my beekeeping hobby to my wife.:thumbsup: Jack

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

When I asked around earlier in the year, several beekeepers at work sold theirs last year at $12/quart. So I figured that the price of honey and the price of jars had went up at least a little, so I sold mine at $15/quart (and one guy gave me a twenty and told me to keep the change). I figure it was easier to make change for $15 than it was $12 or $16. I sold all I had and have a waiting list for next year. So unless something drastic happens to the price of honey or jars, I'll probably go with $15 next year, too.

Oh, local honey was selling at the grocery store for $12.95/quart, too.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Bee careful Bamabww,

In the United States, price fixing can be prosecuted as a criminal federal offense under section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act

Under American law, exchanging prices among competitors can also violate the antitrust laws. This includes exchanging prices with either the intent to fix prices or if the exchange affects the prices individual competitors set. Proof that competitors have shared prices can be used as part of the evidence of an illegal price fixing agreement.[SUP] [/SUP] Experts generally advise that competitors avoid even the appearance of agreeing on price.

Maybe change the post as to not incriminate yourself :thumbsup:

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Eddy, that might be a problem in New Jersry, but here in the hill country i've seen those state and county people come around with their clipboards and demands end up with a bad case of whoop ass, they learn to keep a blind eye on some things unless their not to bright,:lol:then things get worse for both parties, kind of like the moonshine days. Jack

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

:lol:mad:Jack....talking of prices, how much does can of that whoop azz go for down there? I am seeing 16oz of honey going for $6-8 around here.

8. pturley

pturley New Member

Quarts sell for $15, pints $8 and 1/2 Pints $5 here (Mason jars, $1 off if they return the jar). 4.5~5" square sections of comb honey are $10.

They are selling well enough that I am not worried about my prices. My most recent harvest was only three medium supers however. If I had more to sell, I might drop these prices by a $1 or so.

EDIT: I just sold two quarts and a pint today at work!

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

They can sell for what ever they want to around here, it's when they come up with there white shirt, tie,and clip board, to one of those old boys in overalls and ball cap and say, you have to do this or that or i'll shut you down is when the trouble starts.:grin: Now if they come up and say i'm required to tell you that the law says, ect., that may have a different outcome, (maybe) it depends on person (family) he's talking to. I get tickled, some of these inspectors know me (I use to work in law enforcement for the state) and will come up and ask if i know the vender they have to talk to, and what kind of person he is, especially if he's a big old boy.:lol: Jack

10. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I had been struggling with decision for a while and I finally realized that my philosophy on life and goods and services that I use when I'm buying things goes for what I'm selling, same as going for what I buy.

And I agree with higher prices for our honey, at least compared to grocery store prices.

I think that the major problem with food prices in general in the US, and it bleeds over into those of selling honey, is that people are used to getting food for far, far less than it's actually worth. I can go to the store and buy an 8 oz. honey bear for $3. That's outrageously low. We all know we can't possibly produce honey at $3 a bottle. But large industrial systems can produce it, or import it, at volume for that kind of cheap price. And that's exactly what people are getting: cheap stuff.

When we are selling our products, we deserve to be fairly compensated for our time and effort, our skills, and our product quality. We all know that what we are selling to people is a top quality product that takes a lot of time , dedication, care and specialized skills to produce.

Some people are going to stick with buying the $3 honey from the grocery store, that's fine. If those people complain then I tell them my beliefs and why my honey is priced like it is and wish them a good day.

But there are lots of people, and more everyday, who know the value of what they buy and they will pay for a top quality product that supports a small establishment that's good for the planet. These are the people I will treat well, work with, and build up a customer base from.

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Pictures are here :)

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Heinleinfan, I've had people say they can buy it cheaper in the store, (Wal Mart) i tell them that what they are buy in the store is syrup that has kind of a honey taste.That they have to heat it at a high temp. to pasturize it so it won't crystallize on the shelf, and when they do that it has little or no food value. I then give them a taste (i keep plastic spoons and a little bear for this purpose at my stand) they will always say,Ummmm that dosen't taste anything like what i've been buying. I then have a study customer.:thumbsup: Jack

13. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Eddy, I thought you where miss applying a definition until I actually looked up price fixing. and it looks to me like your comments are right on target. I always thought of price fixing as something that was used to push prices up but I guess not. It is also used to force suppliers to lower prices os supplies, limit discounts or sales or even lower prices. which woudl actually be handy in certain situations like you are trying to bankrupt some other person in the market.

Regardless of the price fixing situation I woudl never make such an agreement on my prices either.

Are you all getting the exact same price on jars, lids, labels etc. do you all drive vehicles with the same exact gas mileage. buy your gas at the same price. travel the same distance to market you honey. pay all the same anything for anything? None of you do anything to target a higher paying market? nobody puts together holiday gift baskets that have more value in ribbon and frillies than the honey is worth? And did you all start with exactly the same number of hives. spend the same number of hours working your bees and get the same increase or losses?

And most importantly do you all produce exactly the same quality product?

How can Joe jr in his first year who has to spend every Saturday at the farmers market trying to build a customer base sell at the same price a Mildred that has been selling honey for the last 45 years and has a line standing at her back door before she can get the honey off the hive.

And that is just the stuff that flashed through my head when I read about a group agreement on price. The group will pay my expenses as well.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If price fixing is so well enforced, why does gas go up or down exactly the same with all oil companies the same day?

I price my honey to whoever is buying. I don't have a steady price. The customer's attitude has a lot to do with it.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

OK,........................... so if Tecumseh, Riverbee, Brooksbeefarm, Riverat, and I walked up to you and we each wanted a jar of honey, what would you charge each of us? :wink:

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A Thank You..............

17. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I figured you might want a pen :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We wouldn't be worried with our buddy Perry with us, they don't make a pen that could, or has tried to keep him.:thumbsup: Jack

19. Zulu

Zulu Member

As I always only visit here late at night and Perry's question was at the bottom of the page, I went off to get some popcorn :rolling:. BEfore I looked at Idee's answer........

As for pricing, 12 oz plastic bottle is $5
    8oz bear is $3.50

Glass half pints $5 about 10 oz on scale.

Not charged anyone for quarts yet,

20. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I actually like bartering my pounds of honey. I have a good gig with a couple of employees of my local, certain well known coffee establishment. I trade the employees a pound of honey for a pound of their weekly share of coffee. Technically, they aren't paying for their coffee as it is a perk and the bees made the honey for free (blueblood is not concerned about labor/equipment burden cause it's a fun craft so no debate on whether it was free for me:grin:). Cash is king but bartering is more fun...