What did i just do???

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, May 5, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I got a call today from a beek i was going to buy a nuc from until his supplier fell through a few weeks ago. Anyway, one guy that bought bees from him last year has been in the hospital 3 times now and is HIGHLY allergic to bee stings and has to sell. Gave him a call, 3 hives with double deeps that were supered a week ago, woodware for 2 more hives and all the tools, veils, smoker, etc for $600. Woodware was all purchased from Dadant last spring. I think i just went from 0 hives to 6 in less than a week.

2. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Pretty cool! You'll enjoy it!

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

Good for you DLMKA:thumbsup: Now you will bee learning much faster.
    Just get a folding chair, have a seat, watch and enjoy. It's a good number of hives to start with.
    Good luck.

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Man some people have all the luck, I have only 2 hives and have about 1200 dollars tied up in it and you are getting twice as much for half the price, glad you jump on it and enjoy.

kebee

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I was surprised the Mrs. gave the acquisition her blessing, we've already spent a lot to get this far then had a swarm fall in my lapthis week and now this. I'll get a crop of honey off these three this year which, theoretically, could pay for themselves.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Awesome! I am thankful you were able to put those hives to use.

7. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

The guy seems really upset that he has to get rid of them, i figured the least I can do is provide lots of pictures for him and make sure he gets some honey from "his" bees. It'd be an easy but heart-wrenching decision to give up something as enjoyable as beekeeping because it could literally be the death of him.

8. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

My wife and I bought one package late last season (late may) then a second became available so we figured, Why not? The in fall someone hooked us up with a nuc. My fifth sting last year developed in to a serious anaphylactic reaction. No way am I giving up the bees! I went from just a Vail to a full suit and we moved two of the hives to a friends farm just across the street from the local fire department. This way I have a ride real close if I get stung. :lol: This year we have six hives and one nuc. Who knew that these little bugs could be so addicting.

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

Great score, good luck and keep the pre owner in honey, he will always be grateful.