Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call today from a beek i was going to buy a nuc from until his supplier fell through a few weeks ago. Anyway, one guy that bought bees from him last year has been in the hospital 3 times now and is HIGHLY allergic to bee stings and has to sell. Gave him a call, 3 hives with double deeps that were supered a week ago, woodware for 2 more hives and all the tools, veils, smoker, etc for $600. Woodware was all purchased from Dadant last spring. I think i just went from 0 hives to 6 in less than a week.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Good for you DLMKA:thumbsup: Now you will bee learning much faster.
Just get a folding chair, have a seat, watch and enjoy. It's a good number of hives to start with.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Man some people have all the luck, I have only 2 hives and have about 1200 dollars tied up in it and you are getting twice as much for half the price, glad you jump on it and enjoy.

kebee

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was surprised the Mrs. gave the acquisition her blessing, we've already spent a lot to get this far then had a swarm fall in my lapthis week and now this. I'll get a crop of honey off these three this year which, theoretically, could pay for themselves.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy seems really upset that he has to get rid of them, i figured the least I can do is provide lots of pictures for him and make sure he gets some honey from "his" bees. It'd be an easy but heart-wrenching decision to give up something as enjoyable as beekeeping because it could literally be the death of him.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My wife and I bought one package late last season (late may) then a second became available so we figured, Why not? The in fall someone hooked us up with a nuc. My fifth sting last year developed in to a serious anaphylactic reaction. No way am I giving up the bees! I went from just a Vail to a full suit and we moved two of the hives to a friends farm just across the street from the local fire department. This way I have a ride real close if I get stung. :lol: This year we have six hives and one nuc. Who knew that these little bugs could be so addicting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts