What do we do now?

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by Bheckel169, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Bheckel169

Bheckel169 New Member

New beekeeper here and a friend and I have purchased one TBH each. After, 11 days,
    she went into hers and found a nice straight comb on the bottom of the TBH. Looked pretty clean. As she was inspecting the other top bars we noticed that they were not straight comb but angled small sections of comb. None of them were straight on the bar. While looking at one of the bars with these segments, one of the segments fell off. When we pulled it up we saw a lot of capped brood. My friend was pretty upset about it and so we strung the segment back up and hope the capped larvae survivors make it after being outside on a 82 degree day.
    Here's the question. What does she do at this point? All the bars are in waves or segments. None of the bars have straight comb. Does she just leave it alone and hope the rest survive and they start straightening out or once in this pattern do they stay this way. What are the prospects for a successful hive like this?

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Reattaching the brood gave it the best possible chance.

If you/she do not straighten out the comb on the bars now you won't be able to do it late. Basically you will be unable to manipulate the comb after several bars get built. Straighten early and frequently as needed for a managable situation.

3. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Are you using a chaser board. i found that if the space is more confined they build better comb. I had the same problem and you can'f fix it later unless you want to tear out and strat over.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Not used to a TBH, but could you not cut the comb and then hang it (by strings) in line with the top bars (much like when wiring comb into place during a cut out? Would not the bees reattach the comb to the bars?