What do you first see when logging on?

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by BjornBee, Oct 29, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I know there is a log-in page, as well as a page with a "agreement" page covering language, expectations, etc.

I'm not sure if I am missing something or maybe the site just recognizes my computer, even when signed off.

But is there a "homepage" of sorts? If I punch in the website, it takes me to the forums right away.

I guess what I'm asking, is if I was a first time visitor, there is not a real warm welcome explaining the site, encouraging membership, or something to say "Hey...sign up...we need you!"

One of the other forums was the first of any type I ever signed onto. I was not really sure what I was getting into, how to go about it, or anything. And I can say it was a bit intimidating. I guess for the computer savvy person, it's just another forum. But for others, it just seems perhaps something that a softer approach and some additional information may be helpful.

I'm just trying to suggest or figure if there is a way to encourage more visitors to sign on and perhaps calm some fears. I talk to many people who visit one site or another for years, but never really sign on for one reason or another. I'm sure some will never sign on. But is there something of a better approach for that hesitant person who just is unfamiliar with forums?

What say you?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I don't log in and out, I have it saved in my favorites and when I open this link it brings me right to the board index and I am logged on ready to go.

I am on several other sites (not bee related) but you can not reply to any post or see pics or even enter into some of the different pages without signing up and/or logging on.

Not sure how to make this forum any more friendly to use, seems good to me.

G3

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have mine set to go straight to the forum, using subsilver interface. That glacier thing turns me off completely. If I were checking it out for the first time, I would immediately continue with my searching. I wouldn't stay on it long enough to know what it was about.

While helping a neighbor sign up, the only thing I noticed was I didn't see where it said your location was required. It just refused to accept it until the location was filled in. I think a short paragraph telling why it is mandatory would help.

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Iddee, always knockin my glacier theme :club: :drinks:

I added a "Welcome PM" awhile back that welcomes the new guy's to the forum, other than that I'm not sure what to add to make folks feel more welcome.

We're just going to have to rely on our sparkling personalities to entice new folks to sign up, If you can give me ideas on making the forum more fun I'm all for that. :thumbsup:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

>>>>We're just going to have to rely on our sparkling personalities to entice new folks to sign up<<<<

And in the last couple of weeks I have seen that sparkle shine through. Thank you all. It really brightens up the forum.

6. Charles

Charles New Member

+1 I second that

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

That's why I'm here. Thanks,

Walt