What do you think is going on...Pics

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by DonMcJr, Aug 7, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Ok as many of you know I got 2 hives from farmall who ended up being alergeic...One was weak and I started feeding. That one has lots of activity now and the Stronger one doesn't. I'm going to inspect the stronger oner tomorrow. So hopefully I saved the weaker one and tomorrow we'll see what's up with the stronger one.

My Package from this year is the tower in the middle going strong!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the weak hive that I am feeding...

[​IMG]

My Package Hive...

[​IMG]

Now here's the Stronger of my 2 new hives...Not much activity and I'm worried...

[​IMG]

All these pics are from a half hour ago and I refilled the top feeder on the weak hive about 2 hours prior.

Thoughts??? I know I need to inspect but still thoughts from more experience beekeepers so I know what to look for when I inspect the one hive tomorrow?

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Well, it's obvious the flow hasn't exactly stopped in your area if the other two are coming and going. An inspection will probably will be more telling...

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Activity" can be a timing thing. Some hives are more active early in the day than others, just as some are more active in the evenings than others. If you are only seeing them at one particular time during the day you may be getting a skewed impression.
    I have hives I look at when I am in the yard and they seem quiet compared to the others and yet when I drive by later in the day they are smokin.
    Only a thorough inspection will tell you for sure if something is amiss.

4. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I have 2 acres of Clover planted for my deer and there's flowers galore and will be til frost... My buckwheat field should be flowering again next week ( I plowed it and let it reseed)

Here's some pics of the Clover/Chicory Field and the Buckwheat growing again...

Clover/Chicory Field...Bees are at top of pic way back...

[​IMG]

Here's the 2 Buckwheat Field Growing again...

[​IMG]

5. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Both times I checked were the evening too...good point Perry!

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have seen that too Perry...very good point..

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

You've got my curiosity up--please don't forget to report what you find after you make your inspection.

8. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Might have to wait to find out...work nights and just got up and I have to be at a meeting at 6:30pm and I don't feel very well and don't wanna rush it. Its supposed to rain tomorrow so I might have to wait til Sat or Sun...

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Looking forward to your report DonMcJr. I bought 3 nucs this spring to go along with the 3 hives I already had. I checked them last weekend (I drive truck and am only home on weekends) and my 3 "old" hives were coming and going like gangbusters, as were 2 of the new hives. The 3rd only had a couple of bees in and out in 2 minutes time. I geared up, lit my smoker and popped the top-thinking the worst. They were going strong in both brood boxes. I put the top back on and checked them 2 hours later-the landing board looked like LAX. I guess they're just late night party animals. I'm finding out that this is the reason we recommend more than 1 hive for a beginner, it gives you some comparison.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Gunny said: "I put the top back on and checked them 2 hours later-the landing board looked like LAX. I guess they're just late night party animals. I'm finding out that this is the reason we recommend more than 1 hive for a beginner, it gives you some comparison."

:thumbsup: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

11. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

As soon as the weather allows I'll be inspecting it and will report with photos too hopefully!

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

what you may find it is that flowers timer there nectar secretions, that was not a problem with other floral sources, buckwheat for example blooms and secretes heavily, early in the morning and is done by noon , your clovers may well be an afternoon nectar source. it's been noticed that when buckwheat is the only nectar source the girls get a bit surly in the afternoon because the buckwheat nectar flow had shut down for the day with little else available.
    Barry

13. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Wow.
    Thanks for posting that Barry. I didn't realize that some plants flow more heavily during certain times of the day.
    Now I've got to be a botanist as well as an entomologist. I didn't know that my hobby would get this big.
    I LOVE IT!!!!!:razz:

14. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member