What do you think of this grafting tool?

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by Lburou, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Lburou

Lburou Member

2. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Water Buffalo horn. I make pens from it. Or did . it is very bad about cracking. Go straight to the source and you can buy these things for about a dime a piece.
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/604281770/beekeeping_tool_for_beekeeper_larvae_larvae.html

In this case they have a 500 piece min order so no telling what the final price will be. I asked for a quote. If it comes from china you can expect the shipping to probably double the cost of the order or more. They list them from $0.1-1 that is a $0.1 to $1. each. I should get the volume break down in the quote.

I will let you all know what I find out. You can bet you are looking at about 10,000 for a dime each though. this is far from my first time doing this sort of thing.

3. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I got a quote on the hive tool but it did not include shipping. they did ask if I wanted it air shipped to my door and are looking forward to my reply. I sent it lets see how much shipping adds to the total.

I will just say it already is not just a dime. I will make a guess for now somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.00 to $1.50 ea.

Anyone interested in getting in on an order if the price stays in that area? I will not hold anyone to it so if you think you might be interested send me a PM.

What about smokers for 10 to 15 dollars ea? I have a price quote request in for them also.

Hive tools that they list for $1 ea. but that is max quantity pricing.

As for any references visit a place called penturners.org and ask any of the long time members about me. I did stuff like this for that group for years. Bought pen making tools. drill bit sets. leather pen cases from India and started a Super glue supply that is still ran by one of their members. My user name on that group is Daniel as well.

At any rate this stuff is no stranger to me than shopping at wal mart.

4. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

5 a.m is the time to be doing business with China.
    Barring any other costs such as import fees etc. The final price including shipping per grafting tool is just under $1 ea. that is for an order of 500 minimum.
    Note these are not the Buffalo Horn ones pictured above but plastic and wood. I did not even look up the horn ones given my experience with horn. it will split into splinters in a few months tops.

As I understand it these are not long lasting tools anyway.

They also sent me their entire catalog of beekeeping equipment. everything from extractors. to capping scratchers. No prices included.

The little clip queen catchers. frame grips. frame hangers. filtering equipment. bee suits you name it. replacement bellows for smokers.

In short it is a 19 page pdf file. and they don't waste space on fancy layouts. an item name and a small photo 9 items per page.

5. Lburou

Lburou Member

Daniel, before I would order many of those, I'd like to know how they work.

Do they have oxalic vaporizers in the catalog? :)

6. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Lee, For now there is no assurances. I might be able to request a sample. But my past experience says they will not go to the expense of sending a sample for a min order.

No vaporizer in the catalog but then the vaporizers are not necessarily bee equipment. And if they are and not approved in the U.S. they probably won't be offered to U.S. customers.

I did a search for it and came up with nothing. those varporizers are a sort of off the beaten path sort of thing.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I don't know about "ox horn" but once I bought one that used a feather quill. It was great. Based on the one I bought, I made two others and they served me well.
    The nice thing about them is that, if you choose a feather with the right flexibility, you can easily slip it inder the young larva, pick it up with just the right amount of jelly underneath it and easily deposit it into the receiving cell.