What do you Think

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by brooksbeefarm, Apr 22, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A new club member called me yesterday and ask if i would come and look at her hives. She had bought two med.super hives two weeks ago. The first hive had drawn 3 full frames and started on two more,But, had supersede cells on one frame. two cells on one side and what i call a threeway on the other (3 queen cells in one clump). It also had a inside frame feeder that had about two hundred drowned bees in it. I took it out and loaned her a boardman feeder and explained what they were doing. ( they didn't like their queen).
    The other hive kind of had me stumped. :confused: It was full of drone brood with little patches of worker brood the sizes of a half doller scattered throughout three frames and surrounded with drone brood and the foundation that they were drawing out was all drone cells. I told her i thought she had a queen that was not bred properly and was running out of sperm. I didn't find the queen in either hive, a strom was coming in and lightning was hitting close by and started raining before i got the lid on the last hive. So it was a hurried inspection. She said the seller guaranteed them, so i told her to call him and tell him what we found. I felt bad that she was getting off on a bad start. Would you have told her something different? Jack

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. Always tell them the truth, sometimes it feels good and sometimes it hurts.

Were these package bees or supposed to be nucs? Sounds like package to me.

A queen that was not mated properly or an old queen that is failing. You could take some of the queen cells out of the first one and put in the second hive, after finding the queen of course.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

These were med. box hives ( i would call them nuc's). I told her we could cut some of the queen cells out and put them in the other hive if we had time to find the queen, but the storm rolled in on us and the lightning was bad.I told her to call the seller and see what he wanted to do and if she decided she wanted to put the queen cells in the other hive to call me the next day or two because the cells were capped. I think he should replace the one anyway and probably both. Jack

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

what did she pay for them? Honest question it would determine my answer. they sound about as weak as the nucs with 2.5 drawn frames I got for $70, of course I got some weak weak nucs last Saturday that if they hadn't been so cheap and guaranteed I would have had a fit.

I would have moved one of the queen cells out and placed it into the weak hive then at least both queens would have been superceded. and probally called and asked for a few frames of brood to get the hives a little stronger before the new queens got laying.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a jack snip..
    It also had a inside frame feeder that had about two hundred drowned bees in it.

tecumseh:
    a wet or cool spring + the above would make me think nosema. perhaps also the partial cause of the superscedure cells.