What do you think?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

So I got a call for bees in a wall (I know, I said I wasn't going to do that this year... so much for that), and there's two different hives in the same wall. The wall is stucko over cinder-block so you know they're down in the cinder-blocks where I can't get to them to cut them out. So anyway, one hive I can get a bait hive set up next to it so that the bees can just walk on over to it... the other hive is near the roof (dark patch on wall near roof just a bit too far to the right of the top of the stairs to reach from the stairs). So I can get to that one, via hanging over the edge of the building from the roof, but there's nothing to anchor a bait hive to there. I went ahead and put a funnel on it, but have no way right now to get the bees other than going back every few days with a bee-vac to vacuum up the bees that cluster there. Do you have any suggestions on ways to get them?
    photo.JPG
    photo1.JPG

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would build a support and use tap-con screws to fasten it to the wall.

What kind of roof is it, flat roof? Is there a parapet (short wall above the roof line) that you could possibly use to hang something off of? Can you get on the roof? If so there might be something to fasten a rope or strap to.

If you could get on the roof and it was flat enough, might be able to put some pipe and fittings over the entrance in the wall and make them come through the pipe to the top of the roof (kind of how jm and me did on sarah's trap out). Then put the trap cone on the end of the pipe and the bait hive on the roof. Make sense?

This isn't a furniture store over on Dutch Valley Rd. by chance is it, if so they have been heavily sprayed with poison, got the call last year when they were putting on a roof or painting.

3. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

G3 how can you tell when they have been heavily sprayed?

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I have no way to get it up to the hive except to take it up to the roof and try to hold it over the edge but I'm afraid that would pull me over the edge and that fall woul certainly be fatal.

It's a flat roof, but no parapet. The bees are about two feet below the roof on the wall.

Yes I can.

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I know there is something to fasten a strap to because I used that to make sure I didn't go over the edge myself while I was putting the trapout cone on the wall of the upper-hive. I think I will do that. Thanks again.

Makes sense, though I've already got the cone on the wall, hoping they would just fly on over to the other hive since that hive is a brand new swarm from this one, so most bees should still recognize that other queen and be welcome into the other hive for a few days anyway.

Nope, it's a chiropractor's office near woodlawn/central ave. I've got these two in this one wall, and another one in a tree not even 2 miles away. Good thing with gas being so expensive.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Sometimes they'll tell you, other times you can smell it. Still other times they'll show signs of being sprayed such as seeing piles of dead bees that look wet or bees staggering around and dieing right in front of you in copious quantities.

Being sprayed doesn't always mean they won't be good bees though... one of my best hives was from a cutout of some bees that had been sprayed with Raid wasp and hornet killer which isn't as effective against honey bees as it is against wasps and hornets.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Because they told me so, used three or four cans in two days, I politely declined the job.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Politely", was being very restrained on your part G3. What are people thinking when they pick up the phone after they've tried to get rid of them by spraying?

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Perry the worst part, besides them poisoning the bees, was they were wanting it done CHEAP and NOW! From the what I have learned in life, those two things do not go together. I had actually worked for this guy many years ago on the automatic fire sprinklers in the building, what a cheap bum, tried to nickle and dime you to death. Although not always possible I try to leave a job with everybody happy, including myself.

What is the old saying.................

You can get it done CHEAP, FAST or GOOD............pick two!
    cheap and fast............wont be good
    fast and good.............wont be cheap
    cheap and good..........wont be fast