What does it for YOU ?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Adam and I were jawing on the phone today and we sort of strayed onto a topic we both thought might be interesting to delve into.
    What is the thing that "turns your crank" when it comes to beekeeping?
    Is it the bees, the honey, the fresh air, the sense of accomplishment, etc.?
    When is that moment when you are doing your keeping that you realize that this is the moment that makes everything right?
    When that first drop of honey hits the bucket in that years harvest? When the first customer of the season holds out that $10 bill? When you are standing in front of a group of people who are listening intently to what it is you are saying and it suddenly hits you, "Hey, they think I'm the authority on this" (the "bee" guy/gal)? Is it when you go out in March on the first semi-warm day and you see cleansing activity, with bees pooping all over your car, and you're happy about it?

For me personally, it is when I am 2 or 3 frames deep into a hive and I pull that first frame with brood on it. :mrgreen: :Dancing: :yahoo:
    I know that all is good.
    I enjoy just about everything else about beekeeping but when you hit that first frame of brood, you heart lifts and you can draw that next breath just a little bit easier. :lol:

How about you?

2. Omie

Omie New Member

For me it's when I go to check a hive that I left with only eggs to make a new queen with. It's that moment a few weeks later when i see a beautiful brand new queen walking about on the frames. I love that moment when i see her for the first time!

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

stumbling across the queen......:queen:

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Sheesh Perry. That's a hard one to pin down. Like Omie and riverbee said, finding the queen. There isn't any aspect of beekeeping that I don't like-with the possible exception of losing a colony, but this hasn't happened to me YET. I especially like the fellowship and comeraderie of other beekeepers, especially here on beekeepingforums.com.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

all of that and more.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Well, I obviously like the large amount of great friends I have made here because of bees. If I were to pick one thing, it would be the challenge of keeping them alive, healthy and happy. Besides, I love eating honey and cooking with it! Selling the products of the hive simply helps me maintain the hobby and to increase my hives...

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

For me it is two things

1. The thing that really got me hooked is when I was a kid and ran my finger across some fresh capped honey and ate it.........HOOKED for life right then and there, nothing better than that in the spring for me other than............

2. A big ol' swarm and getting to play in them, nothing better!!

All of that other stuff is right up there along side of these two, but hard to beat a big swarm and fresh honey on your finger!!

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I remember this spring, finding out that the bees had made it through the winter and were starting to multiply. That was a great feeling of relief. If my bees make it through this winter, I will call that a success and will be very happy.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The greatest pleasure is always in giving, not receiving.

For me, in fishing, it is when the young one catches their first fish. In beekeeping, it is when I am watching the new beek with his/her first harvest, first split, first swarm catch, ETC.

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Oh yeah, that's got to be number 2 in my list of exciting moments....the first warm sunny day after a long cold frigid winter and going out to the hives and ...seeing the girls flying high, coming and going... knowing they made it.

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

For me it is coming home after work and sitting by the hives and just watching. I never knew that insects were so interesting. This has been my greatest joy in beekeeping. My second is giving honey to friends. My third is actually collecting money for honey. Collecting swarms falls in between these somewhere.

12. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

the thing for me is just like Perrys, I found frames like this today, 2 or 3 frames either side in both brood boxes of the parent cone-o-bees hive, I get this good feeling like Ive actually done something right, I pulled another 40lbs of honey today and the wife has already jarred it and decorated it, we are just having so much fun working on all this together, every part of beekeeping gets me:thumbsup:

Attached Files:

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice looking frame of pollen Zoo. :thumbsup:
    (better keep and eye on that cup on the bottom of the frame though, looks like some attention being paid to it) :lol:

14. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

another thing I forgot to mention was all the nice people you meet, people that call you to "save the bees" tend to be very friendly and just all around good natured people, also the people that buy the honey are for the most part the same way, I had a customer at the farmers market last Saturday offer the use of a 6 acre lot just because she liked everything my wife and i are doing, that will be my 5th yard, and of course theres all of you guys, Riverbee who even for now that she cant stick her head in a hive and have fun will still hang with the rest of us and help any1 who needs, Perry {our beek-cicle} of the north who all winter long post pics that make me glad I live in Florida and every1 else:thumbsup:

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

its empty perry I looked and then took it off and searched the rest of the frames for cups

16. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I'm pretty new to this, but for me it's the sense that the bees and I are working together to produce something that helps us both become self-sufficient. I provide home, food, water and great deal of concern and they reciprocate by working their little butts off for me.

17. Marbees

Marbees Member

smell and sounds in the apiary, wall to wall capped brood, starting nucs/splitting hives, orientation flights, catching swarm
    bees bringing in first pollen, finding that not so strong colony made it through the winter, acceptance of a new queen ....

Even cutting grass around hives makes me feel that's "the moment":grin:

18. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

A couple of days ago I was setting on a bench outside the local Wal mart waiting on the wife to finish shopping, and a honeybee landed on the back of my hand. The two other people sitting there cleared out real fast but I set there and watched her and even spoke to her. About two minuets later she left and the two people sat back down and the questions started to fly.
    I guess the fact that I get total enjoyment out of a bug ( weither she is mine or not) and regardless what she is doing is what I like most.

19. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Sharing My 30+ years of knowledge and experience with people. At the fair In the market on this forum, at beekeeper meetings. Judging honey at the fair and coming up with new displays ideas for the fair. In a sick and twisted sort of way Gitting Stung is always a rush, I don't mind getting stung and kind of look forward to it. Yo keep the immune system working and the arthritis away. Looking after the bees extracting and selling the honey that is the boring dreaded part.

20. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

this is my first year at it, and everything about the bees is fascinating. I would say that the highlight was pulling a frame of honey from the super, tilting it against the hive, and with a few breaths getting the bees to march off the frame into the hive. I did not use any smoke, and they just let me have the honey. Kind of like "thanks, here you go" It was just an awesome feeling walking away with that frame. Another neat moment was scooping up a handful of bees when they were bearding on the front of the hive. Just a nice and gentle sort of communion with the bees. I've been chastised here for "playing" with my bees without smoke or protective gear, and I'm sure one day I'll pay for it, but that's exactly what "does it for me"