what else do i need to process honey for next season?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by adamant, Dec 11, 2011.

1. adamant

adamant Member

like to take advantage of the sales this time of the year.. i am planing for next honey processing season.. i have a extractor, uncapping tank with a uncapping plane and a honey bottling tank.. what else do i need besides bottles and labels? i was thinking of those double stainless sieves and food grade buckets.. what other odds and ends do i need?
    thanks
    ant

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

You've got the basics more than covered. I use the cheaper plastic strainers rather than the stainless double sieve (my local supplier was out of the ss double sieve) Several 5 gal. food-grade buckets w/lids is a good idea, as well as a pail perch. This will hold 1 bucket upside down(at an angle) allowing the last bit of honey to drain into another busket while you do other things.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I meant another buCket. My fingers must have lysdexia.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Food grade buckets can be found very cheap or free at delis, donut shops, and other places that get them with different foods. I pay 1.00 each with lids. They contained syrup for slushies. I go to home depot or lowes and buy 1 gallon and 5 gallon paint strainer bags. They work well for honey.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

capping scraper???

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Capping scraper or flat spatula and pail perch (gotta get one, nothing worse than trying to "prop" a leaning bucket on top of another) are both good ideas.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

drapers bee had a neat idea they cut a bucket where is fit down inside the bucket you was filling.The strainer was level with the top of the honey bucket. Pretty interesting you could top off the buckets of honey with the strainer under the extractor.

8. rast

rast New Member

Uh, oh yeah, frames of honey :lol: .
    I've used the paint strainers, cheesecloth and women's nylon hose, but I really like the SS strainer the best for ease of use and cleaning.