What happened to my hive?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Noreen, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I would at least get a styrofoam board (comes in 4x8 sheets at home depot) and cut a piece to fit inside the lid. Reason: Moisture sticks to cold surfaces. On sidewalls it slips down to the bottom of the hive and out. On top, it rains on bees. That plus your top entrance (which many northern keeps say is the only way their bees can exit for waste runs in deep snow) should keep your bees from being rained on with cold drops, and vented some via that top opening. You will want to insulate the nuc's lid as well, just a styrofoam sheet.

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

ok, I already have a bunch of that rigid insulation, ill just cut to size..thank you...

3. Gypsi

Queen should lay a BUNCH right now for you. then when winter bees hatch, expect a pile of mites on the bottom board. and she will quit laying and shut down after those winterbees hatch, my guess for your climate October 10th but it is a guess

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

I switched the frames that had comb and bees into a nuc and put another nuc box ontop with a feeder, hopefully the confined space will help the remaining bees guard the hive and stay warm in the winter.the one entrance is now reduced to about an inch.its still pushing 80degrees plus today, as its becomes colder out I will insulate the hive..

5. Gypsi

sounds good.

6. camero7

camero7 Member

I use the betterbee poly nuc boxes up here [Massachusetts] I often find the queen on the outside frames in these because they can cover the whole box and stay warm. Very good overwintering with them.

7. Gypsi

Thank you Camero! I barely remember how to drive on ice, sure don't know much about beekeeping in it except ventilation is important