Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In most cases I read that an oxalic acid vaporization is given every 5 or 7 days for three weeks. I have been following the 7 day cycle for the pass two treatments but it appears that the daily temperature isn't going to be near 50 degrees F until Thursday, which is 8 days from my last treatment. Should I just hit them on Wed. when the temps are down to 40 degrees or below or will the 8th day when temps are more appropriate be the better choice?

·
Super Moderator
3,625 Posts
Appropriate temperatures are probably more important. I treated from the top last week when it was cool here, will treat from the bottom tomorrow when it is warmer

Reactions: Wil

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appropriate temperatures are probably more important. I treated from the top last week when it was cool here, will treat from the bottom tomorrow when it is warmer
I am looking at Thursday when it is supposed to go near 50*f. Wednesday, today, will be only 36* they say. However, yesterday, at 36*, I walked over to check the hive and there were hundreds of young bees doing what I think were orientation flights and they were piling out of the 3/8" x 3" entrance reducer. I figured everybody would be snuggled up and keeping warm.

·
Super Moderator
3,625 Posts
I am sorry I wasn't on. Ponds pay the bills and I had to work all week. It is in the 70s here today, so I will be treating mine from the bottom. Hopefully can retreat again on tuesday after work. I suspect there are mites in brood but so close to freezing weather I don't want to take the hives apart again, I want them to propolis the boxes together. My winter bees may have been damaged by mites, but I don't see any viruses. While my single deep hive had a significant (not horrible, just significant) mite drop from top treatment, my double deep only dropped 3 mites. Which makes me think I should treat again from the bottom and see what I get. I am off today, I hope.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the chance to treat with OAV from the bottom again yesterday, ( Thursday ) and the temperature was 52*f but very windy with 30 mph gusts. I did a mite drop check on the sticky board before this, my third, treatment after a week from my second treatment and the mite count was 52 dead. So, it has dropped considerably from a count of 392 mites on the board. I might be getting somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
3,625 Posts
I had the chance to treat with OAV from the bottom again yesterday, ( Thursday ) and the temperature was 52*f but very windy with 30 mph gusts. I did a mite drop check on the sticky board before this, my third, treatment after a week from my second treatment and the mite count was 52 dead. So, it has dropped considerably from a count of 392 mites on the board. I might be getting somewhere.
Sounds like you are making progress. I have to go to the bank then I get to treat.

·
Super Moderator
3,625 Posts
I treated from the bottom with OAV Friday evening on my hive that had about 50 dead mites from its top treatment. It is 10 frame equipment, one Deep brood box and an Illinois Super, 10 frame. On Saturday I had a mite drop of about 15 mites.
I treated from the bottom with OAV Saturday afternoon on my hive that had 3 dead mites from its top treatment, also 10 frame, 2 deeps and an Illinois super. I haven't checked the sticky yet, had a few other things to do outdoors today and didn't want the bees chasing me. Will check tomorrow, going to be cooler, they should be inside

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's supposed to be warm here in Ohio today too, about 50 degrees, so I think I'll pull the sticky and see what the mite count is from my third treatment of OAV from last Thursday on the 3rd. I am running Two ten frame deeps. Hopefully, the mite count is way down from the 52 dead mites it had after the second treatment.

·
Super Moderator
3,625 Posts
I got 7 mites treating from the bottom on the double deep with super. I will probably retreat Wednesday or Thursday, again from the bottom. The hive is just booming and I don't want to investigate the brood chamber.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got 7 mites treating from the bottom on the double deep with super. I will probably retreat Wednesday or Thursday, again from the bottom. The hive is just booming and I don't want to investigate the brood chamber.
I don't think I'll check the sticky board today. It is raining hard and my quarter acre fishing pond is overflowing so it will be a soggy walk to the bee yard. I could have done it much earlier, but the Ferrier showed up to trim the horse's hooves and that turned into a bull session and coffee.
Sure is a good sign you only got 7 dead mites.

·
Super Moderator
3,625 Posts
Those mites will still be there tomorrow. They don't seem to go far

1 - 11 of 11 Posts