What is a Nuc?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 12, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

At our last club meeting we had a speaker (that works for the Kelly Co.) say that it was still considered a nuc with a caged queen as long as long as it had three frames of brood, a frame of honey and pollen, and a empty frame, (a 5 frame nuc). I disagreed, and said to me a nuc should have a introduced, proven laying queen, otherwise your just buying a package.? I didn't argue with him because he was good enough to come and gave a good program, maybe i'm wrong:???:, but it still bothers me, what is your idea of a nuc??? Jack

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

My idea of a nuc is a small 'working' hive, as you 've described above. The two I bought recently were only three frames, but they had bees, brood, and a laying queen. I agree that a caged queen is a form of package.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I agree with you too Brooks.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Most nucs up here are 4 frame:

2 frames covered with bees and brood
    1 frame covered with bees and nectar/honey and pollen
    1 frame covered with bees ( a bit of a dispute in some arenas, some think a frame with foundation, some with drawn comb) I do comb
    1 actively laying queen

To me, "actively" means actively laying on the comb in that nuc. My very first 2 nucs years (and years) ago were nucs with queens in cages. When I next went out to check them I found one of the queens dead on the porch. A pretty discouraging way to start. :sad:

5. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I agree with all of the above, the only other nuc I can think of is what we should have detonated over Tahran and Bagdad 20 years ago. :smile:

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

"nuc" needs an adjective. Slowmodem bought a 3 frame nuc. Perry bought four frames and a queen, not a nuc. Brooks talked of a 5 frame nuc.

A caged queen does not make a nuc, A nuc is a mini hive. Any hive, mini, standard, or maxi, has a laying queen.

My own opinion, 1 frame of brood with a laying queen and a frame of necter, honey, and pollen, in a 10 frame box with 8 frames of foundation is still a 2 frame nuc in a 10 frame box. If the queen is caged, it is two frames of bees and stores, with queen, not a nuc.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

To me a nuc is is a mini hive with a laying queen and the brood to prove it. Nuc is short for nucleus which would be the heart of the hive, the bare bones or start of an established hive.

A few frames of brood, honey and pollen with a caged queen thrown in would be a split to me.

Seems awhile back someone was talking of a nuc with the laying queen and the seller had caged her so she would not get damaged in transport????

8. Dunkel

Dunkel New Member

To me, a couple of frames of brood, one honey, one pollenish pulled and one empty and one queen. When she has proven her self and the extra frame is pulled its a small singe hive. I think you all are thinking in the context of buying nucs ready to be hives. Whether I add a queen or a cell it is still a nuc. Just not a mini hive. I make nucs and sell minihives. If could ever have any extra to sell LOL.

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Someone had told me that the store where I bought my nucs had queens in cages. However, that turned out not to be true (at least in my case).

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If my memory serves me, wasn't it Omie?
    I seem to remember Don (fatbeeman) did that for one of his customers for just that reason.

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I think that was me, last year (May or June?) we had a club member order some nucs from down south to sell to members and when he got there they didn't have his order ready. He stayed alnight and they still didn't have his order filled in the mourning,he was to be in Springfield around 11:00am, Well he bought some queens and made up 4 and 3 frame nucs from the 5 frame nucs and sold them with a caged queen to fill his order. He was 5 hrs late for the meeting place and needless to say the members were not happy for the wait or the nucs.I thought he should have lowered the price of the nucs, but he didn't.:roll: Jack

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, it seems we all agree except Dunkel. Myself, If I ever bought a nuc with a caged queen or a four frame plus an empty as a 5 frame nuc, it would be refused and I would take my money elsewhere. If I bought a "mini-hive" from Dunkel, I would thank him for the "nuc". :D

13. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I have a bit of a different way to describe the standard I have for a nuc. A nuc is a mini fully functioning colony. This means it has a mated laying and confirmed quality queen. It means that whatever stores it has it is where it is because the bes put it their. this will typically mean the outer two fraems are fat with honey. the other three are well formed brood nest frames. If the hive is not at risk of swarming it is not ready for sale. I do not consider anything less than 5 frames a nuc at all. Those are mating nucs used for a completely different purpose. All the bees in a true nuc are related. And where produced by the queen in that colony. When purchasing a nuc I am purchasing a colony if I wanted nothing more than a box if bees I would buy packages. Keep in mind that nuc is short for Nucleus Colony a colony is not a box with a bunch of bees dumped in it by far. And yes I do not find or buy many nucs. Teh one I did buy required three months to put together. I requested it in February and took possession in May. That is how to do a nuc.

14. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I agree with Daniel Y. I bought some nucs last summer. It turned out they were splits with some honey, brood and a queen that was released the day I picked them up. Only two of the splits made it. I would gladly pay twice as much for an established five frame colony. It would be the same price and much less grief.

15. Dunkel

Dunkel New Member

Well now,lol, I was just answering the question. If I put bread in a toaster, when excatly does it become toast? Whats toast ready to go to you maybe not near dark enough for others.

What is a nuc? Are you talking Nucs for sell ready for a hive? Nucs I may make up to hatch out queen cells? Old Lady of the house asks Whats you r plans today, I says going to make up some nucs. Hey, I could come back in a month, Naw never fly here.

When is it morning? etc. You all are mostly thinking or talking about finished nucs, they have to begin there life somewhere. Going far right wing here and subject to a rant.. Don't worry about my minihives if they any good they wouldn't be for sale anyhow.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think the OP was referring to purchasing a nuc. Therefore, my definition would be a nuc ready to sell. If I had a group of 5 frame boxes with bees, brood, and a queen cell, and was asked if I had any nucs, I would say no, but I have some started.

BUT, it is generating posts for the forum, so let's keep it up. :D