What is blooming for the bees?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

In my area my bees are working goldenrod, ragweed and my vegetable garden, especially those big squash blossoms.

What is blooming where you are?

2. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi we have Himalayan balsam. The final one however is flowing Ivy. Just went out to the bee yard and they have huge pollen sacks. Bright yellow. Last week it was an ivory colour. Still brood as well. Who would have thought? Also some Dandelions. However I don't know what that is about. Really not seasonal here.

3. Gypsi

we are getting into winter here, but I am in Texas, so pretty far south compared to the UK

4. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

We have very wet winters normally though last winter was very cold and snowy. This winter I will have to take precautions against moisture which could be high. Spring normally starts early around beginning of March with a steady nectar and pollen flow till late Oct. Some hives are producing around 100 lbs of honey a season after leaving winter stores.

5. Gypsi

That is a very good production. To get that here, well I would have to move somewhere with better flow from may to August -

6. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Here is a photo taken today. Damn lot of pollen still coming in. I can't get on with winter chores yet. Still brood!!

Attached Files:

7. Gypsi

I'd post pics if I had time to resize but they are huge right now. I've pollen and nectar, goldenrod, asters, and I think a white tickseed type weed, plus ragweed of course

8. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

my bees are still bringing in pollen, im feeding the new hives with sugar water and when it gets down to freezing temps( who knows when that will be) I have plenty of fondant to feed through the winter..

9. Gypsi

I've got fondant and syrup on the weaker 2 hives, had fondant on the big ones during our 5 day rain event, it's probably gone, will have to check tomorrow after my helper goes home