Beekeeping Forums banner

what is propolis?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Monie 
#1 ·
I was wondering what propolis is made of and what it is good for other than sticking stuff together :confused: . would ya'll share your personal experiences?

#2 ·
It is made from tree sap, resin, and other additives. It is used to seal cracks, cover objects the bees can't move, ETC. It is also medicinal, as most diseases and bacteria cannot penetrate it.

That is just a start. Some of the other members can add volumes to that.

#3 ·
propolis is more or less the glue of the hive. They will use it to close up holes and seal cracks as iddee said. As for its medicine value it is an anti bacterial that is usually made into a tincture or a topical ointment to aide in the healing of cuts and abrasions. which helps keep the infection away. If you search back in history you will find propolis remedies have been around longer than modern medicine.

#4 ·
If a space in a hive is greater than 3/8" (aka beespace) bees may fill the space w/ comb. If it is less than 3/8" they fill it w/ propolis.

I wonder how the bees gather the stuff, pack it on their pollen baskets and use it back home w/out getting all glued up themselves? Maybe it isn't so sticky until it cures?

propolis is latin for before the city. pro polis. Polis as in metropolis. Pro as in pro, before.

You probably wanted the chemical breakdown though, didn't you? I'll look it up in my encyclopedia.

#5 ·
"gathered from alder, poplar and horsechestnut, and various exudations from wounds in any woody plant."
"It is made up of an indeterminate number of substances, and thus has no specific chemical formula."
"...used as a putty, especially when mixed w/ wax."
"... special varnish used by Stradivarius, the violin maker."

I know it is used in cosmetics and toothpaste. Tom's brand comes to mind.

A friend of mine has collected it from scrapping supers during the extracting process. I don't know if he will be doing that this year or not, because, last I heard, Beehive Botanicals is shut down.

#8 ·
I agree with Mark, books are MUCH more satisfying..... Little Man would take the other side of that debate and ride that horse till it threw him, then chase it down and ride it another ten miles!

Thanks for answering the propolis question.....I'm willing to bet there will be more. That young man has serious things brewing in that mind of his and is yet unable to really say it all. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.