What is the best size container for comb honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by SlickMick, Oct 27, 2009.

1. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

I am hoping to harvest some comb honey in the near future and I am wondering what is the best size to cut it and how much should I charge for it

Any suggestions

Mick

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

What size?? Approx. 4 inches square "100mm X 100mm".

What price... All you can get. It varies with location, market, and variety of honey.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

In central NY here, at least two different beekeepers are charging about $8-9 for a 3" x 3" piece of comb in a neat tidy box.
    Needless to say, at that price they are not flying off the shelves. :shock:
    It seems that's about twice the price of what I remember a couple of years ago.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I didn't sell all my comb honey at the farmers market this summer but it's flying out of the deep freeze now, i have a $60.00 order to take to the bee meeting tonight. My 16 oz. 4x4 in a clear clamshell box goes for $6.00 and the 8 oz. approx. 2 1/2 in. square goes for $3.00. Some days at the farmers market i would sell all i brought and other days i wouldn't sell but one or two packs,you can't out guess them. I still have people ask, what is that :confused: I thought maybe i was to cheap when i read on the forums what others were getting, but then i thought that's $6.00 a pound. :thumbsup: Jack

5. Omie

Omie New Member

It never ceases to amaze me what people don't know.
    I am used to people asking "What is that?" about my banjo when we play music in public, but the other day they asked my husband that about his fiddle. :shock: :confused: :confused: There are really people in America who don't recognize a violin. Would they know what a piano was if it fell on them? :(

6. Charles

Charles New Member

Have you ever seen Jay Leno's "Jay Walking"? It makes you laugh and feel sad at the same time :cry: One time I saw a collage student majoring in history planning a career in teaching. She couldn't identify a picture of George Washington :eek: Her best guess was the Queen of England :queen:

7. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

:shock: Goodness!! that's awful!! You know one time my friend had a college student ask her how many eggs a chicken could lay in one day! As if they had an on and off switch! :lol:

8. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Thanks for that info guys.

What about honey with some comb in it? What would you charge for say 1 kg of that?

Mick

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A quart jar of honey with a chunk of comb is going for $14 to $16 around here.

G3

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Pure liquid or with a chunk of comb in the jar, the price is the same here.

11. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

That's cool guys, thanks

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Here in SW Mo. We know the differents between a violin and a fiddle by the way they transport them, they carry a violin in a case and a fiddle in a burlap feed bag. :mrgreen: Jack

13. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

:thumbsup:

good one Jack

Mick

14. Omie

Omie New Member

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have been selling 4x4 (16 oz.) for $6.00 in the clear clamshell box and 8 oz. for $3.00 at the farmers market. Had some people say i was to cheap :confused: . I told them they could pay more if that would make them feel better. :mrgreen: Jack