What is this bee doing?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Blacksmith, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Blacksmith

Blacksmith New Member

Hi everyone, I've never posted on here before though I am here a lot, but I found something this morning that was odd. This bee that I think is a queen was on the ground around a hive I split last week, actually there was 2 of them. Both I picked up with a stick and put on the step of the hive. The first ran right in and this one hung out a minute and gave me a little dance haha. Anyone have an idea of what's going on??
    Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ha7JzUvz9U&feature=plcp

2. Blacksmith

Blacksmith New Member

Sometimes I get my mouth in drive before my brain is in gear.
    When I split I must have taken the queen to the other farm and this hive just made new queens. Hmmm I was going to pinch that queen after the split and get a new one in there due to aggression now I have two hives that will be aggressive instead. I think the bees showed me.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is a queen for sure, and she has been mated. I wonder if those two were fighting and fell out of the hive when you found them.

If they are queenless they will be a little on the pissy side for sure. Might want to check them in a few days for the queen or at least signs of her (eggs or brood).

Welcome to the forum also........:hi: