what is this stuff??? :)

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Lazarus4, May 25, 2013.

1. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Hi everyone
    About 2 months ago I was given about 35lbs of wax and honey. It smelt good and taste fine so I used low heat and separated the honey from the wax. Strained it through some paint cloth and let it cooled. On the bottom of the wax is this brown stuff, (no its not the honey either) lol what is it? Is it pollen? Its almost like a hardened/cooled down sludge. I don't see body parts and it doesn't smell funky either...just don't know what it is. Any semi wild guesses lol :)

The other question is after the honey has cooled a white coating has appeared on it top. Its almost like a white thin layer of foam. It taste fine. It doesn't look like mold. Just wondering about it. Thanks Laz

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

The dark brown stuff on the bottom of the wax is propolis. The white stuff that looks like foam-is foam. The small air bubbles rising out of the honey is creating a bit of foam. Let it sit for a while and it will go away.

3. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Thanks for the reply :) Beautiful day here after it rained all morning.

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Yep what gunsmith said, all is good. Jim

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

yep, what gunny said!

The propolis should not have gone through the strainer too much, remelt your wax again and strain it through something even finer, some use a paper towel.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

laz,
    what all said about the sludge.....:grin: propolis, gunk, etc......
    there is a couple threads here how to strain your wax to nice and clean, if you'd like i can 'dig' them out for you and post back.
    the foam....like gunsmith said, air bubbles.
    here's what i'd do, just scoop it off the top with a spoon.

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

​Yeah, that is what I do.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

I think the brown sludge can be old cocoon debris from the combs as well- this was some cut comb honey you were given, right? Possibly from a wild cutout?

9. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

I dont really know much about the wax n honey that given to me, the guy moved several states away and I dont actually know him. I am reheating it and restraining it again and so far it is getting cleaner.