What is this?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, May 8, 2013.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I drive past this every day to work. It's a single deep, but then has a hose coming out the back and into the tree. Maybe it's not bees at all? Sure looks like one though.

Jason

Attached Files:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Almost looks like they are funneling the bees from the tree to the box. Also looks like a plug in one knot hole there. You ought to stop by and introduce yourself. Might be a good contact to have. On a side note, imagine that, a red barn in Indiana? We have those and basketball goals everywhere don't we? :grin:

3. Steve_gts

Steve_gts New Member

My guess would be someone is trying to trap a colony out of a tree, there's probably a valve of some type in there so the bees come out of the tree cavity, down the tube to the hive, then out but can't get back down the tube to join the colony.

Although I suspect this would just catch the older flying bees and drones, the queen would have no cause to leave anyway unless it was done immediately after a swarm had left the tree and it were a virgin on a mating flight.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

well it would appear to me to be a swarm trap, about the hose, that's an iddee question.......:grin:
    or other swarm trappers.....:lol:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It looks like a Hogan trap modification. I would really like to know if it works. Try to contact the owner and get him on the forum with details and updates, PLEASE.

6. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Hogan trap works. It works very well. I am doing this right now, & I'm fixing to get the fourth start out of this hive that is a rock wall of a house. It is very neat to do!