What is Your Favorite Screened Bottom Board

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by lazy shooter, Apr 27, 2013.

1. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I am thinking of going to SBBs on all of my hives. Therefore, I would welcome input on whose SBBs you prefer and why you think they are better than their competitors. As always, thanks in advance for your replies.

2. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Our first year we went solid. Our second year we did four screened bottom boards. Three of the four screened bottom boards were dead outs. I know a lot of people like them for mite control and ventilation but I'm not a fan of them at all. I think it makes it too hard for the bees to discard of the dead bees because bee parts get stuck in the screen. As far as mites are concerned: I think when they drop off the bee, they are on their way out/half dead anyway. Just my opinion based on my personal observations. :wink:

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have seen some that other beekeepers have made and made some to my own liking. They are easy to make and cost less than store bought.Once you get a pattern you can cut out several and put them together later, i like to make up 10 to 20 at a time. It depends on how many hives you want or have. Jack

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

How do you get the screen tight across the hole before stapling/nailing?

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Like Jack, I've made my own and I am a wood-butcher (little skill).

I use rigid or semi-rigid galvanised or s/s mesh. At some time you may wish to flame the floor so I would avoid plastic or plastic coated mesh.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Greg, the 1/8" galvanized screen comes in a role and is rigid like Barbarian said. I make the frame wide enough that when i cut the screen i can staple or nail 3/4" wood strips on the inside of the sbb to hold the screen in place. I don't have to stretch it. Jack

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have a roll of it and haven't opened it yet. I wanted to see if there was a secret to it before I started. :) Thanks!

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

A botch-up SBB

The following is my wood butcher's style.

DSC00137.jpg DSC00138.jpg DSC00139.jpg DSC00140.jpg

1. The kind of hive stand I use.

2. Front view of SBB (OMF). The 3 sided rim is 3/8 ---- bottom bee space hive.

3. Rear view showing empty slot for slide.

4. Slide partially in. It rests on the top of the stand legs.

I don't use alighting platforms on my hives.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""What is Your Favorite Screened Bottom Board""

YOURS!

As long as they are yours and not mine, I like them. I tried them for a few years and went back to solids. They just did not fit my beekeeping practices.

10. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have gone to 1"high sides and entrance on my bottom boards so enough space to slip in a screened sticky board to do mite counts. The bees fly earlier and later without all the ventilation of screened bottoms. Of course I am in a way colder and dryer climate than most on here. The bees do a better job of sweeping the floor with a smooth wood floor.