What killed my goat? Chicken feed or bad alfalfa?

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Gypsi, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

That was fast. She was fine. She was sick, she was fine, she was dead. And she was too big for me to load to go to the vet. This is what I know (besides I will never have a goat larger than a miniature again - one I can pick up alone, if I ever have another goat.)

Pen conditions and yard conditions actually fairly good (not perfect). I got her 125 lbs of alfalfa on Sunday, she had eaten maybe 3 cups of it, along with goat chow. Not a big fan of noble goat, she preferred sweet feed, pregnant, probably with twins, hugely pregnant, good eater, good drinker, whole pond to drink from, availed herself of the low branches of pear, shrubs, and plenty of rye grass which she seemed to like, all good. Monday afternoon I let the hens on her lot free range and she got into the chicken pen and ate probably 3 cups of layena and a fair amount of scratch. I chased her out. Tuesday morning she got up with massive brown diarrhea. I went to the internet, it said too much grain, give probiox. I only had human probiotics, had her pen to clean up, and had to make calls, so I gave her dissolved probiotics (10 strain, safe stuff, give it to me and my dogs for dietary indiscretions) in water, and she did quit having diarrhea and started eating grass. Got the regular Probiox Tuesday afternoon, but she wouldn't let me get it near her mouth and was eating grass. so ok, also got her some Noble Goat (more green, less brown, she wasn't a fan) she didn't want much to do with it. Yesterday after work I picked up her favorite treat, dried apricots, and stuck a few in my pocket to try the probiox again, just to be sure she was ok, found her in the chicken pen, ate another cup or 2 of layena. she took the apricots except the ones with probiox in the middle. She was alive this morning when I left for work, resting in her clean straw in her pen. She was dead when I got home, and had been, no movement from her babies, or heart beat. (I have a stethoscope.)

I don't think I will honestly try to do a goat again, but I do have 100 lbs of goat feed and the facilities. Got to get rid of that alfalfa I think, sometimes a bug gets in it, in north texas and it kills horses when they eat it, but the feed store is careful where they get theirs from.

Help? She weighs between 120 and 140 lbs, Nubian doe. Wormed March 24 with 3 ml ivermectin (minor cough, clumpy stool, kids due around May 10th so it was time)

2. Ray

Ray Member

So Sad, it's always a shock to loss stock.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Do you have camellia bushes in your yard. They are deadly to a goat.

Also, I have lost a number of goats at birthing time. It is a well known dangerous time.

4. Gypsi

No camellia that she could get to. She had been in the roses now and then, and a nibble of pine, I chased her out with a spray from the garden hose. She'd been eating plenty of cherry laurel, grape leaves, pear, vitex and a bit of rose of sharon and pomegranate bush.

Her last stool was small and tarry looking, happened sometime today. The chicken pen had recently been fixed, when she vacuumed up the feed she might have gotten a staple. A friend of mine who is a veteran with goats suggested that. And it is possible. Thank you for your condolences. I was very fond of her, and she was pretty smart. She knew about what to stay out of, including the street, and we communicated in our fashion...

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

gypsi,
    i am so sorry for the loss of your goat, my heart goes out to you, i know how much you love your critters, so very sorry.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

That's so sad...I'm sorry!

7. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

So sorry to hear Gypsi, we have only had our small baby goats far about 3 months now and we are so attached to them. They are not a ll what I thought they would be like.

We have read that they are not supposed to have chicken feed. Ours absolutely love it though. They go straight for it when it's around. We were just talking at dinner tonight about researching why they are not supposed to have chicken feed.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Condolences Gypsi.
    Around here we don't really have pets, just smaller members of our family.

9. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Sorry to hear about your goat Gypsi; Chicken feed should not be poisonous in itself but is not to be used because of BSE concerns though that is another issue. We had marvelous luck and I only remember losing one Billy probaby with urinary calculi. Animal food can get contaminated by mice. Salmonella is a prime one. It may not show on the birds. I imagine you do not use mouse and raticide for your vermin but that has poisoned animals that got hold of it. Had it been overconsumption of grain I would expect there to have been bloat but that seems not the case. Dunno!

10. Gypsi

Brown diarrhea. massive brown diarrhea, a little white discharge at the vulva. No large animal vet terribly close, I couldn't load her one website said cut the grain and give probiotics. That stopped the diarrhea. I did find a final stool from yesterday, small and tarry. I don't know but I do know that I don't have time to care for goats properly, and I don't even know if I can drink their milk. So I am sad. I will buy some goats milk and see if I can drink it, and if I can, I will learn more before I try this again.

I don't use vermin baits anymore. Thank you.

11. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

I'm sorry I don't have any advice or theories, only condolences and sympathy.

12. Gypsi

I did some more research. My vet found a place for her body.

I only had one goat, and her death may have been caused by an avian disease she picked up in the chicken coop if she got ahold of manure as well as food. Doesn't bother the birds, fatal to goats, Coccidiosis

Don't know what she had, but I know that I won't have another goat sharing a lot with chickens, or until I have both more land and more time.
    She was carrying twins, from all I've heard, if I hadn't been home for her kidding, I likely would have lost them all then. I work too much for this, and I am heart broken.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I feel for you on this loss. A mother and two kids, it's really saddening. Do you have other animals (aside from bees) that can offer you some consolation?

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

so sorry for you gypsi, i would be very heartbroken as well....thoughts and well wishes your way......

15. Gypsi

my 4 dogs have promised to walk me tomorrow. not the same, she was unique, but alive and well and glad I'm home, and i will feed my bees