Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in St. Petersburg Florida. The tree is a Norfolk Island pine.
I thought I saw some with white on their rear ends you can see the white dot top center of the opening. This morning major bee traffic I wouldn't go near it, I got the photo late afternoon they seem to have chilled out.

If I get a little braver I will get a better picture. I know don't bother them they won't bother me but whats the definition of bothering with these guys? They are fun to watch but I keep about 10 feet and they still buzz me when they are really active.

Brown Branch Wood Twig Plant

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will work on it. I am not one of those YouTube bee daredevils quite yet. When I say there are alot of them I mean there are ALOT of them.

Had pet bees on my boat for a long time, that yellow jacket nest by the back door that came back year after year and I noticed the bigger it got the more they puffed up when I was near. I called it my burglar alarm but that was nothing compared to this!

Just got a new phone with a good camera. I will try tomorrow.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flower Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Groundcover

Some flowers 30 feet away these must be the same bees. I just looked on Google Earth and this Brazilian pepper tree that was flowering several months ago that was totally covered in them is 988 feet away. I think this hive pollinates the entire area because we have 5000-10000 square foot lots around here and not many people would leave a hive like this in their clean cut suburbanite yards. With the exeption of my place there is not much nature left around here.

I tried getting pictures of the entrance but they don't show up in the photos when they are moving fast. I just moved here so I don't know their patterns just yet but maybe later they will chill out enough I can get a photo of the ones hanging out at the entrance.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the boat bees the yellow jackets every year the same spot even after I moved it three miles but the new dock was windy and a long fly to food and it never grew much then died out.

The nest would fall off in winter, where did the queen go? If there was one because it came back in the new boat slip spring 2022. Moved boat in January 2022 when they were gone.

· Administrator
3,743 Posts
the pic on the flower is a honeybee. If you don't mess with them and they don't mess with you, I wouldn't worry about it. But I wouldn't leave sweet drink uncovered on the patio table either. A bee in the soda can is not fun

· Registered
185 Posts
the pic on the flower is a honeybee. If you don't mess with them and they don't mess with you, I wouldn't worry about it. But I wouldn't leave sweet drink uncovered on the patio table either. A bee in the soda can is not fun
I experienced that one and that was way before I even had bees. Very painful.

· Registered
925 Posts
Ive been stung so many times through the years, wasps,hornets, yellow jackets and honey bees....the correlation of the speed of the tractor after you brush hogged a wasp or hornet nest is always just that bit slower than they can fly..and then there is rorotilling that ground yellow jacket nest..I seem to find them all, just a bit too late to run like hell....then the wasps and yellow jackets like to make those golf ball sized nests you never see when grabbing something with your hand..like firewood or anything hollow like a wagon arm and they love the nice dry cover on the propane tanks....good thing im not allergic..but those wasps give a hell of a sting with swelling and PAIN....nothing like a honey bee sting..they hurt..but the others hurt way more...and they can sting several times..

· Registered
925 Posts
lol..get stung by a bunch of them little critters and you will be crying...but theres a hack to help with the sting..apple cider vinegar applied to the sting helps neutralize the pain and swelling..

· Registered
185 Posts
Lol. how well I know. Overseas, I was walking rear security through the jungle when I turned around and walk right into some kind of hornet's nest, face first. They stung my face, in my mouth, my eyes and of course my hands when I tried to cover. Choppers couldn't get me out so two guys had to lead me through the jungle for three days before I could see again. There was also a bad time of it while mowing my lawn with the rider and I went to duck under a tree branch but ended up in a Bald Face Hornets nest. That was another very rough night.
I tried ammonia on the stings here at home because that is what we used on Jelly Fish stings back when I was diving. That seemed to help but I'll remember the apple cider vinegar the next time it happens.

· Registered
925 Posts
Vinegar

Why it helps: Wasp stings are less acidic as bee stings and have more of an alkalinity. Therefore, the acidity of the vinegar helps neutralize the alkalinity of the sting.
How to apply it: To use this method effectively, take a cotton ball and soak it in either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar and place it on the affected area. Apply pressure to the sting. You should feel a difference in pain and swelling within minutes.
ammonia is alkaline, and for some stings it does the opposite and makes it worse..but like many things ask 10 people and get 10 different answers...I say..do what works for you..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts