Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in St. Petersburg Florida. The tree is a Norfolk Island pine.
I thought I saw some with white on their rear ends you can see the white dot top center of the opening. This morning major bee traffic I wouldn't go near it, I got the photo late afternoon they seem to have chilled out.

If I get a little braver I will get a better picture. I know don't bother them they won't bother me but whats the definition of bothering with these guys? They are fun to watch but I keep about 10 feet and they still buzz me when they are really active.

Brown Branch Wood Twig Plant

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will work on it. I am not one of those YouTube bee daredevils quite yet. When I say there are alot of them I mean there are ALOT of them.

Had pet bees on my boat for a long time, that yellow jacket nest by the back door that came back year after year and I noticed the bigger it got the more they puffed up when I was near. I called it my burglar alarm but that was nothing compared to this!

Just got a new phone with a good camera. I will try tomorrow.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flower Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Groundcover

Some flowers 30 feet away these must be the same bees. I just looked on Google Earth and this Brazilian pepper tree that was flowering several months ago that was totally covered in them is 988 feet away. I think this hive pollinates the entire area because we have 5000-10000 square foot lots around here and not many people would leave a hive like this in their clean cut suburbanite yards. With the exeption of my place there is not much nature left around here.

I tried getting pictures of the entrance but they don't show up in the photos when they are moving fast. I just moved here so I don't know their patterns just yet but maybe later they will chill out enough I can get a photo of the ones hanging out at the entrance.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the boat bees the yellow jackets every year the same spot even after I moved it three miles but the new dock was windy and a long fly to food and it never grew much then died out.

The nest would fall off in winter, where did the queen go? If there was one because it came back in the new boat slip spring 2022. Moved boat in January 2022 when they were gone.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fire ants are no fun. I was washing windows on a building behind some bushes in St.Augustine Fl wearing flip flops, they really got me. Took a few years for the scars to go away.

The flip flops may have been a good thing as they might have climbed higher if wearing shoes and socks and maybe bit me in worse places.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts