What kind of frames Wood or Plastic and why?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hoborg, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hoborg

Hoborg New Member

I am setting up two new hives with one deep brood chamber each and three medium supers each. All boxes will be cedar (but that may be not relevant to this discussion). I have purchased wooden frames with plastic foundations for five of the boxes already. I need to order more frames with foundations. I want to know which to buy. Do I buy more of the same wood ones or do I buy all plastic ones and if you answer please tell me the why of your opinion.
    Thanks all.
    Hoborg.

2. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I have both, and I like the all plastic better. I like that the foundation is integrated in the plastic frames. No sagging or deformation and I like the out of the box and into the hive aspect. However, I find the wood frames a bit easier to pry up with a hive tool.

3. Hoborg

Hoborg New Member

Thanks Pistol for your answer. This is the kind if answer I was looking for. Do the bees seem to care one way or another?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think the real plus of the plastic on plastic is they require no assemble. The down side is all those like undulations built into the edges of the frame are excellent places for the small hive beetle to lurk. I do have some of both although I have never purchased a plastic frame.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I prefer the wood frames with wax coated plastic foundation. I find them more rigid when removing them from the deeps. I have found when I am holding a plastic deep frame and turning it over to the other side of the frame for inspection there is a great deal of flex that doesn't exist in wood frames. I don't care for that "flex", but that is just a personal thing.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have used wood frames with all wax foundations "N" style from Walter T. Kelleys but recently ordered some wood frames and Rite-cell was coated plastic foundations for my deeps. The jury is out until late fall of this year, we shall see how they do. I just don't have the patience to wedge and wire foundations like the old timers. The N style foundations/frames are nice because you can simply slide the foundation in and that's it. But, the shipping is too high for my taste with the particular company. MannLakeLTD has free shipping for over $100. If I would have ordered 60 frames and foundations anywhere else, it would have cost me $60 shipping. That is money I could spend on other bee stuff.

7. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

It is totally a personal preference. Buy just a few before buying say....100 because you may find you don't like them. I myself do not like them. It is hard to articulate why I don't like them. I never set out to buy them but have gotten them in NUCs that I have purchased and I just don't like the feel of them. Plus, I am one that enjoys putting my wood frames together.

8. Hoborg

Hoborg New Member

Thanks fellow "Beekers". I have all new wood frames that came with my hive but need a few more frames for med. supers. I have been wondering if to stick with the wood/plastic combo or try out the all plastic. I thought I might try out some black plastic ones since another beekeeper says he can see eggs much more easily on the black background. I would put them in the brood areas of the hive. I really love being able to post a question here and get all these differing points of view. All very helpful. Thanks gents.
    Hoborg.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You can use black plastic foundation for brood frames (deeps) and white for your honey supers (mediums), that's what I do. The white foundation discourages the queen from moving up into those (for a while anyway).
    You are right about seeing eggs against a black background.

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have all plastic and have good luck (so far) with them. If you're going to order some, they're only a couple of dollars apiece, so you might as well order a few just to see what you think. If you don't like them, you're not out all that much.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I use only wood and wax. Why? It's simple.

I'm an old codger set in my ways and ain't changin' fer nobody. :thumbsup: :lol:

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have "natural" colored plasticell and I like them. I do not have a lot of time, Last year I built 150 wooden frames, all foundationless strung with 20 lb test fishing line, and I used 2 per 10 frame box, between my plasticell. The bees might like the wood frames better but time isn't my strong point.

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hoborg,
    lots of good answers here...
    at some point personal preference will dictate and is what you ulitmately will use down the road, from your experience. the bees don't care what box they are in or if you are using plastic frames vs wood frames. foundation; pros and cons to both, plastic wax foundation sometimes has it's quirks with the bees, but for the most part, easily remedied, and more durable, in hive use and extraction. i have used it all, plastic frames, wood frames, and wax foundation.

i am like perry, i like and use wood frames with plastic wax coated foundation. i don't care for plastic frames. black foundation for brood boxes, white foundation for supers. i would add to perry's post about the black foundation(seeing eggs, discouraging the queen from moving up, etc).....i would add, queens prefer to lay in darker comb, IMHO, i think the black foundation, encourages and gives her that...a very quirky thought....but.....:lol:

i moved to plastic wax coated frames for a number of reasons......ease of use, extractor friendly, durability....if a bear trashes a hive with wax foundation......you can't put it back in the hive.....plastic foundation you can, well, okay, unless it's been sat on or a hole chewed through it.....but you don't have bears in oklahoma.....:lol:

14. Hoborg

Hoborg New Member

Guys love all these differing points of view. Ultimatly it helps me narrow down my decision.
    A great help.
    Hoborg

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Do a test, put 5 plastic frames with plastic waxed foundation and 5 wood frames with wax foundation in the same brood box or super and see which ones the bees like best? Makes me wonder? are we beekeepers or are we becoming bee trainers.:roll: You might say i relate to post #11.:lol: Jack

16. Hoborg

Hoborg New Member

Actually I have been thinking about doing this and seeing what actually happens.

Hoborg

17. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I use wood frames with natural color plastic foundation because that's what the guy was selling at the bee meeting last year.

18. Hoborg

Hoborg New Member

Hey litefoot, any pros or cons from your experience with them so far? Do the girls seem happy with them?
    Thanks, Hoborg

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I sense a bit of skullduggery with the idea of placing 5 frames of wax and 5 frames of wax-coated plastic side by side (shame on you Jack) :lol:
    I have no doubt that bees would prefer the wax foundation, but is that the question? Or is the question which foundation do keeps prefer using. I am pretty sure that previous trials will show that bees will work the wax foundation first (if given the choice) but that they will also work the wax-coated plastic as well. So the question really becomes, which does the keep prefer, and that is more of a personal choice.
    To illustrate:
    I place before Iddee, a beautiful piece of prime Alberta raised beef steak, and a chunk of barbequed alligator. Clearly we know what the result of such an experiment would be! :wink:
    But if one was missing what would the result be? Would Iddee turn his nose up at that chunk of alligator if that succulent piece of Alberta raised beef wasn't there? :mrgreen:

I will now stand back and prepare myself to duck! :lol:

20. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Perry, you might have pegged iddee wrong,remember he's ate snake meat.:lol: Also, i've been trying to remember if i ever had bees abscound before i tried plastic foundation?? Come to think about it,i never heard the term abscound in beekeeping till the 1990's?:roll:. Think i'd better go to the back of the bus with my buddy Murrell.:lol: Jack