What now?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Dakine, May 7, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Vac boxes me Anaka.jpg Current Hive.jpg
    First comb.jpg
    First picture Me and daughter taking "hive", bee vac" apart after having the swarm in it for 6 days. Next picture is the way the hive is now with just 1 deep box. 3rd picture is testing the VERY first honey that the swarm made. I'd put one shallow frame on the outside in with [9] 9 1/4" frames so I pulled it and replaced it with a 9 1/4" frame. Honey is probably from the Kiawe [Mesguite] tree which surrounds our 6,000 acres. It's a VERY clear and Sweet.
    OOPs After 6 days I just now got iniated. Got stung while taking the picture of the brood box. The bees are definitely mellow but it still HURTS. I grabbed a piece of masking tape in the dark without seeing a bee stuck in it! Ouch!
    Anyway What do we do now. As you can see in the second photo I took the bee vac pieces off and now only have the deep brood box.
    Should we put a shallow box with frames on top and a queen excluder on the deep box?
    We haven't looked for a queen or brood yet. The shallow frame with the honey and some pollen was a outside frame. Sorry to bother you guys again but WHAT NOW?
    Eventually we want to just do comb honey. I think it may be easier to sell here on Molokai plus less work.
    Thanks and aloha.

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Add the shallow once they have 80% of the hive body filled out. I leave the excluder off when I super, they seem to pull out the foundation and pack it quicker. Great photo's, glad to see that its a family affair! :thumbsup:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Great pictures! :thumbsup: (notice your daughter wasn't wearing the veil, nice guy! :wink: :lol:)

4. Dakine

Dakine New Member

She's sweet!! Not a old grouch like me!!