What races complement each other?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Dec 15, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I've been thinking about this coming Spring on what I need to do. I have one hive (swarm) that I believe is Italian muts, I'm thinking the same as the other that I bought as a nuc. The swarm hive can be somewhat aggressive and populated quite fast. This spring I'm thinking I better split this hive before the swarm. What I like to do is buy a queen and introduce her to the split. With this Italian mut breed what race of queen would complement this hive? Also, is it better to buy "local' than mail order from a reputable breeder?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would let it raise its own queen. You cant beat local mutt queens. Once you introduce a queen from another source there will be no complement. You will have bees produced by the new queen losing the genetics of the original split

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well if they survive the winter at least I would want to replace the queen of the hive that was excessively defensive (on the other side of this question you should remind yourself that hygienic bees also tend to be somewhat defensive in their very nature).

actually rather than looking at this as a complimentary situation I myself would look for traits that fit into your local environment niche. actually if I was attempting to rear bees in Indiana I would be looking real hard at new world carnolians and if Honey Run Apiaries is still producing queens I would be sending him a bit of business.

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

With this my first year I only had 2 other hives to compare bees. This hive was fine until you squashed one or was in too long for their taste. I thought they were aggressive when it came to building frames out and producing honey. BUT, my other 2 hives were an issue. If I'm going to introduce a new queen to the split I would want a New world Carnolian. But, what will do to the other hives?

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

After seeing the thread title and your location I was going to reply, "as far as races, I would take in the Indianappolis 500 as well as the Brickyard 400. These two races compliment each other because they are 2 different types of cars."

Then I saw you meant bees lol.

I've sourced out some Russians for this Spring. I've heard they are good winter keepers and honey producers, but also good at swarming.

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'm really stumped what I should do for next season!

7. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I'll try to make it as clear as mud...... :wink: This was my first year and I think I earned all the mistake t-shirts. My two Italian that started from nucs from Walter Kelley are just pissy all the time ( sure it nothing to do with anything I did to them ) My Russian mutts from the cut out ( a colony that was in the side of a house for 25+ years ) are just plain mean. They will taunt me when I'm working the other hives the usual of leaning on the hive cover flipping their cigar butts and empty 40 bottles at me. My calmest hive is the split I did from getting a queen that I did not need ( if i had waited another week I would have realized the hive was queen right ) this hive has a Russian queen from Kelley. Hope that helps

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Local Queens

I would suggest you buy a locally bred Queen.

You could buy a non-local Queen that produces quiet bees but find the strain does not survive your winter. You are then back to square one.

9. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I decided to buy a queen from Honey Run Apiaries. But, might buy a couple packages to see how New World Carnolians do for me.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Not a lot of choices for us up here. If you want queens early enough for spring splits to get into pollination, you really only have 2 choices, Australia or Hawaii, and whatever they have that's available. You can buy local queens but too late to catch pollination, and then you might as well just raise a few of your own.
    I found that imported queens have a higher rate of supercedure so the money you are spending to get into pollination is somewhat reduced by that.

11. 2Tall

2Tall New Member

I think you will be happy with the queen from honey run , they are good queens for this area.