What seeds have you started?

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by srvfantexasflood, Mar 28, 2010.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Anyone start any seeds yet? What did you start and have they germinated yet?
    It's way too wet here to do any tilling. So I have been sowing seed in flats with divided inserts.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I haven't started any seeds yet but do have sweetpotato's in quart jars of water starting to sprout.I have a crate of onion plants and a 100 lbs. of potato's cut and sealed over ready to plant. I put an order in to the local greenhouse for my tomato and peper plants, i don't have time to start my own for my truck garden anymore (with the bees to). May 5th is the last frost date in my area and things really get busy then. Hope it dries up enough to plow soon, i should already of had my potato's and onions in the ground. :roll: Jack

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Three days ago when we had a gorgeous 50F sunny day and I direct seeded some of the cool-loving veggies for the first time. I planted a few short rows of:

Chatenay carrots
    Winter red Russian kale
    White Russian kale
    Rouge d'hiver lettuce
    Nevada Batavian lettuce
    Black seeded Simpson lettuce
    Japanese bunching onions
    Springer spinach
    Gigante inverno spinach
    scallions

Nothing's up yet of course, and now we have a couple days of rain coming, after which it'll get warmer in the 50's and 60's next week. :D

Next week I'll plant seeds of Swiss chard, leeks, chioggia and bull's blood beets, some other lettuces, bok choy, radishes, and purple kohlrabi. I would have done those already too, but other stuff got in the way so the second half of the first seed planting had to wait a few days.

After that I'll wait a couple more weeks before planting seeds of veggies that respond better to slightly warmer temperatures.

I'm sticking with short (3') rows in multiple succession plantings this year. I pretty much direct seed everything except tomatoes, which i buy as plants around Memorial day.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I tried an experimental row of peas in the garden under the plastic tunnel. Might be too early, but I guess I'll find out. I tried to winter over swiss chard in the tunnel, but haven't checked it yet.

Garlic is coming up now. I've got pots set to start peppers and squash and maybe a few flowers indoors, but haven't actually planted.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nothing yet, been too wet to run the tiller. Turned the garden over last fall. Rained here today maybe two inches, with some pea size hail. Power out when we got back home and just now got it back on.

G3

6. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

Please don't hate me...(well, okay... go ahead and hate me :mrgreen: )
    Peas are done.
    Carrots are done
    Onions ready to harvest in a month or so.
    Beans, sprouted
    melons, sprouted
    Potatoes, well on their way
    Tomatoes, through the top of the cage
    Sweet corn, just starting to poke up
    okra, sprouting
    squash, BLOOMING!
    :yahoo:
    My little payoff for putting up with California.

7. srvfantexasflood

I noticed people tilling their gardens yesterday when I took the grandbaby for a walk. I'm envious. It squishes when you walk in my yard.

8. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

First early strawberry bloom sighted.

Asparagus shoots poking through.

Guess I better get some seeds sown.

Not sure all yet what we will be growing.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Got some more seeds sown in the veggie garden:

purple kohlrabi
    Swiss chard
    red Deer Tongue lettuce
    French breakfast radishes
    Bok choy

and for the bees:
    calendula
    anise hyssop
    borage
    morning glory
    large white nicotiana

10. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Bjorn, did you plant the asparagus from seed? If I recall you was talking of that last year.

11. srvfantexasflood

Before our last snow, I put down some Dutch clover seed. Germinated beautifully due to that snow and several good rains.

12. Omie

Omie New Member

Today I dug up and planted the cucumber bed- about 12 feet by 3.5 feet wide. I planted two types- pickling cucumbers, and a ghostly pale white salad eating cuke. I also planted lots of sunflowers.
    The honeybees and the solitary native bees will all love both the cucumber flowers and the sunflowers!

By the way, the borage seed I planted in the ground last week is sprouting nicely. I'm watering it whenever it's dry, because borage is rather succulent and delicate when small.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No seed yet but got 48 tomato plants in the ground.

The dirt is starting to warm up so I think I will plant some seed tomorrow

14. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I've got squash and a few peas sprouting in the cold frame, but my peppers are refusing to show themselves.

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

well I put out four rows of sweet corn and five hills of cukes.

I don't think the ground is warm enough for okera yet.

G3

16. srvfantexasflood

I am so far behind. I am still trying to start seeds. Has anyone ever had any huckleberries? I just started some seed and hope to make jelly.

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Potatoes and onions have been in the ground two weeks, onions starting to sprout. Lettuce, radishes, beets, spinach ( all up) and 36 tomato plants in our small garden so far, it's a little early here for most warm weather plants. Had to cover tomato plants last night, frost warnings. (it got to 38F) and i'm in a low place and i've had hard frost at 35F. I've got 5 acres plowed for the truck garden but won't start planting it till about the 10th of May. :thumbsup: Jack

18. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Stevie Ray fan- Huckleberries are awesome!!! Great for jellies, its a real small berry almost a blueberry look but smaller. I was in upper Washington state and I think they where high bush. S.W Missouri has some low bush hukleberries I hear but never seen them. Where did you get the Huckleberries? I'd be interested in giving them a try!
    Jack we made it back and after I tagged a bird I tilled all afternoon. Still a little wet but should get some peas and ? in tomorrow.

19. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Zane, we enjoyed our visit with you and Amelia. Glad to hear you got old Tom :thumbsup: . Been busy cleaning up the trees from last years storm so the place won't be in to big a mess when the bee club comes down May first. Disc the plowed ground in one field, and going to plant sweet corn tomorrow., but they've got rain forecast for tomorrow :beg: Let it rain we need it. When you and your wife come down this way again in two weeks sttop by if you have time. Jack

20. srvfantexasflood

BeeHunter- I found the seeds on a shelf at Sunrise Garden Center in Lawrence, KS. They were marketed by Seeds of Change. I know Seeds of Change has a website where you can order heirloom seeds. I also got some heirloom watermelon seeds as well. Now the question is where to plant them with all these shade trees. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought those!
    I bet I have fun keeping the birds off of the huckleberries.