What should I bee doing

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reidi_tim, Mar 13, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

So I am within a few weeks of picking up my nucs, what should I have on hand meds, equipment etc for the day I bring them to the farm. I have yet to find a fuzzy black bear suit for my daughter to wear for the move in. Thoughts on what I need to have for that day I actually become a bk and the best way to move the nucs to there new home.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

First off spend as much time as you can reading this forum and books. The first year the bees shouldnt need any meds. Make sure you have your hive ready frames assymbled etc. Read as much as you can on this forum and books. Have your tools, smoker, hive tool, veil etc. I wouldnt recommend black for a bee suit for the daughter. Bees are famous for not liking dark colors. Read as much as you can on this forum and books. Have a feeder set up and ready to put on the hive once bees are installed. Try to find a mentor and a local bee club to join. And oh yes did I mention Read all you can on this forum and books.:thumbsup:

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

Have some sugar syrup in a spray bottle, in case your smoker dies out, something that regularly happens to new beeks.
    If needed, spray bees with syrup to calm them, they will become busy grooming themselves and won't be attacking you.

Transporting bees is always stressful to them, even short distances. Set up the feeder, as river said, and that's it. Nothing more for that first day. If you get them in the cardboard box, transfer them in the middle of the wooden box , make sure frames are in the same order they were in the nuc box, the rest of the frames will be new frames with foundation I assume.
    No black suits in the apiary. DANGER.
    As for transportation, in the back of the pick up truck, and don't speed.:grin:
    Read and watch some videos on YT. Good luck.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Snippet from Marbees: "Set up the feeder, as river said, and that's it."

It makes me feel good that someone else also refers to you with only the flowing part of your great name.
    Glad you're back with us RIVER. :wave:

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Practice using your smoker.

Practice lighting it. Try different fuels; see what works best for you; what produces a nice, cool smoke.

Set it down for 10-15 minutes and see if it stays lit.

There WILL come a time when you're working your bees, and they'll be so calm and gentle you'll set the smoker aside. Then the inspection drags on a bit, the bees become testy and start boiling out of the box. THAT's when you need smoke, and you need it right then. Puffing away with a smoker that's gone out isn't going to help.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

7. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

When transporting bees I like to have the nuc/hive positioned so that the top bars are pointing front to back. If you have them side to side then the frames could swing on braking and crush your queen. Take it nice and steady.

8. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Ok the joke in the family are the following guide lines for my daughter and bee keeping
    1 always enter from the front
    2 no smoke,veil,gloves
    3 wear fuzzy black bear suit
    4 stick fingers in entrance
    5 when stung wave hands and arms about
    6 after being stung bite stinger out with plenty of pressure
    7 use excess amounts of perfume / honey spread on your body is good for the bees
    8 have video camera to post on utube