What size nails to use on supers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by kemptville, Feb 26, 2012.

1. kemptville

kemptville New Member

I ordered an unassembled hive recently and wanted to know what size nails I should use to assemble it. Also there are no pre-drilled holes in the dovetails, what size drill bit should I use?

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

The fingers split quite easily so the pilot hole needs to be close to the nail shank size for the finger. You should not have to pilot the end grain. I would also pay the bit extra to get galvanized nails as the rot starts quickly around plain nails. I would say 2 1/2"

Personally I like deck screws but you have to pilot and countersink for the head as well but it is easier to hold things square for screwing than it is for hammering. I use 2" screws.

Glue and screw!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What Crofter said:
    I go with a slightly smaller nail at the top of the frame rest ends cause there is not alot of wood there. Anytime I have ordered supers they always come predrilled, with galvanized nails and frame rests included? Are these made by FW Jones?
    I build most of my stuff now to save $$$.

4. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

I like to use deck screws instead of nails. It seems to suck in the joint more when I see excess glue oozing out.

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

As Crofter said plus one more thing, get a pair of 2 feet clamps, speeds up assembly, holds sides tight together before nailing/screwing.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

7. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I used Titebond waterproof glue. The drilled and nailed with no. 6. nails. My finger joints were tight so no need to clamp. Might use deck screws I have left over next go around. Pre drill and dip threads in wax to ease screwing them in. Pine tends to split. Old carpenter's trick.

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

Since you are going to have to drill pilot holes anyway, I'd go the deck screw route, with titebond III.

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

The nails shipped from Dadant and Brushy are 7d galvanized , except for the very top one, which I think is a 4d.

If you are having to make your own holes , you may consider using screws as suggested, use a std tapered pilot drill first.

The Grip rite are good nails too.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

throw the hammer nails and drill away. get a cheap harbor freight brad nailer (20 bucks) some titebond glue and go to assymbling :thumbsup:

11. kemptville

kemptville New Member

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated ;-)

12. Joseph Clemens

Joseph Clemens New Member

Like CharlieB, I too no longer use nails, I use Titebond III and coated deck screws after drilling proper-sized pilot holes. In my climate nails, even ring shank nails, just "walk" out of the wood in a year or so.

13. kebee

kebee Active Member

Got my order from Brushy mountain today. I order unassembled hive along with 7d nails, got 4d nails, so I went over to home depot and got some # 6x1&1/2 screws and they went together well. Believe I will use screws from now on on my hive boxes. Got a lot of other goodies too. I think I am in trouble with the wife for I started painting the hive stand and she had asked me 6 mths ago to paint the den and I kept putting it off so now I will have another job to do here at the house. With all the work I am having to do outside in the yards there is not enought time in the day, and to top it off I have 2 water leaks, one on the line coming into the house where I made a connection and the other under the bathroom and I have concert floors.

Kebee

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Painting the den, water line leak, bathroom water leak, building bee stuff?

For me, the choice is clear! :mrgreen:

15. kebee

kebee Active Member

Perrybee it was to me too but not my best half.

Kebee

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Heck, I'm building bee stuff right now, and we still don't have any baseboards, door or window trim in the house (since we reno'd the place we bought last summer!)
    C'mon man, Priorities I say, Priorities! :mrgreen:

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Either that or he can't go back in the house. The dog is in his lounge chair.

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

[​IMG]

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Better get that baseboard and trim up, so the dog can have his house back.. :D

20. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

One tip I'll pass to ya. When you get your first box togeather and its square, get 2'x2' peice of plywood and set your box in the center of it. Next get four 1x1s or 3/4x3/4 boards and snug them up tight to the sides of your box and screw em down to the plywood. Then when you get your next boxes to assemble all you have to do is glue the coners and drop the box into your jig and it holds the box square and togeather while you drill and screw/nail your corners. Jim