What the heck. Help

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, May 3, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Checking out my hives and found what appears to be 2 started queen cells. Just captured this swarm 7 days ago and they are in a deep. They have about 8 frames drwen out.

Surely these guys are not fixing to swarm after 7 days.

This was on the inside of the next to outside frame.

Whats up with this.

2012-05-03_17-37-38_588.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They are queen cups. Sometimes they are developed into cells, sometimes they aren't. Also, if they are, they are in the position of supercedure cells, not swarm cells.

Since the old queen leaves with the swarm, she is often replaced shortly after re-establishing. Let them do what they want. They know best.

They are NOT preparing to swarm again.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That is some dandy new white comb though! :thumbsup:

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Ain't it, though! You made me look and it is some nice comb! New comb seems almost magical. Is that just a glare or is there a grub in that cell to the lower left of the cup on the left?

Ed

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Looks like a grub to me. Also looks like eggs or day old larvae in pools on lower left as well.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

that comb is beeutiful!!! thanks for sharing the pics! love pics.
    can't help it though, how does a beek with a name like YANKEE use the term 'FIXIN' :lol:

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

Great picture Yankee. Where in AR are you located? I'm originally from Batesville.
    Jim

8. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Gorgeous pic:coolphotos:~

9. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Heres 2 more pictures.

These gals are simply amazing. This is one of the most fun things I have done. I'm hooked.

Jim, I live in Cabot, right next to Hollond Bottoms Wildlife Management area.

2012-05-03_17-37-19_678.jpg

2012-05-03_17-37-27_440.jpg

10. kebee

kebee Active Member

Looks like the comb I had built up in my 2nd hive when I looked in yesterday, the one that is aggressive and still was, I almost think something happen to the queen. The first hive had lot of comb build up but saw no honey yet, seem all the bees were on 2 frams and could not see to much of what they had done or any brood group, maybe should have smoked bees away to looked but didn't. I lite my smoker the way fatman bee showed and it worked well and had good smoke for an hour, more than enough to go through the two hives.

kebee

11. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

What are Supercedure cells? and How do you get a smoker to stay lit for an hour? Had to lite mine about 4 times yesterday.

I added a medium super yesterday to this hive since they were working on 8 of 10 frames in 7 days.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Supercedure cells are ones that bees build to replace a queen that they have determined there is a problem with (old, damaged, failing in some way).
    An Emergency cell is just that, they have immediately recognized a serious problem (pinched or crushed queen during an inspection, etc.) and immediately seek out a proper aged egg or day old larvae and begin to raise a succesor.
    Only 4 times? Welcome to the club! :wink:

13. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

An excellent way to keep your smoker lit, or should I say to bring an absolutely cold, dead, non-burning smoker to life is to leave it sitting in the floorboard of a Jeep Wrangler. Be sure to monitor it for about 30 minutes prior to abandoning it in the jeep to be sure it is dead. It also helps if a slight rain falls on/in the smoker (with the top opened). It would probably be better if you used your neighbor's Jeep but if you must use yours then go ahead. Come back 30 minutes later and you will be amazed at how much smoke that magic lantern puts out!!!!! Trust me...it works!!!!!

Ed

14. kebee

kebee Active Member

Yankee , take an old cardboard box and cut it into 3 inch strips, dosen't have to be exact, pull the card board apart, roll up, lite up put in smoker, puff to get going good than put another roll card board in, puff some more than grab some old pine straw, weeds or what ever and cram into smoker and it will stay lite for a long time, may have to stuff more straw in ever once in a while but it will be there for you.

kebee