What the heck?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, May 12, 2011.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

Finally checked out my beeyard today. Only 5 hives and it took me 2 hours! Caught another swarm last night in Beaufort. Big one. About the size of 2 basketballs. They were on an Indian Hawthorne in front of the Administration Building. Had a hard time, but was finally able to finagle a bucket under the swarm and bop most of them into the bucket which I then dumped in a box. I was lucky enough to get the queen on first try, and they I just sat there and waited for the rest of them to walk in, I closed them up and brought them home. I left the entrance blocked until this morning.
    Then I went into my other 4 hives. As you know, I've had a lot of swarms, so I didn't know what to expect. One hive had lots of swarm cells, another had one supercedure cell. None of them had any brood at all. None! All of these hives have at least 3 boxes and all the boxes are jam packed with bees; only a few drones in each. My only guess is that they all swarmed at one time or another and that I'm working on newly hatched virgin queens who haven't started laying yet. Isn't it kind of nuts, though that not one of four have any brood? They're producing white wax and honey like crazy and I robbed 4 boxes of beautiful capped honey while I was in there.

What are your thoughts?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My thoughts?

Everything is beautiful and you should be a very happy lady. Strong hives, a good honey crop, new queens going into winter. What more could you ask for?

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

uummmmm maybe a couple more of them double basketball size swarms :confused: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

im thinking the bees are doomed. Let me replace your hives with 4 of mine. No charge. :thumbsup:

5. Tia

Tia New Member

:D So I guess you all are telling me that "no brood" is not a bad sign! I'll check again in two weeks and get back to you!

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Like rat says, I've got 4 hives I'll trade for yours. They all have brood.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

all likely in between queens. swarming maybe, but replacement at this time of year is not outside the realm either. with varroa, no matter whether you treat or don't treat, the queens don't last so long and the break in the brood cycle also breaks the varroa's cycle.

8. Tia

Tia New Member

tecumseh, yeah I thought of the benefit of the break in the brood cycle. Don't have much problem with varroa--my nemesis is small hive beetle, but even they have almost disappeared with the strength of these hives--but every little bit helps, right?
    By the way, you all, got just over 5 gallons from those 5 honey supers I robbed. Will put it in jars today and it's already sold!

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nothing like having cases of honey already sold.

10. Tia

Tia New Member

you wouldn't believe it. I have a waiting list. And I don't sell it cheap!

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Tia you must be too cheap or the waiting list would start to dwindle down.

I was always told when the customer groaned a little and then still bought it, the price was just about right.

12. Greenb3tree

Greenb3tree New Member

Still waiting for a swarms here! I should be so lucky!

JC