What time of year is a good time to start hive.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by stugger57, Nov 22, 2013.

1. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

I live in San Diego Ca. The temperatures here are roughly mid 60's daytime and down to low 40's at night at this time of year. I have a field near me that is about 50 acres of wild flowers that bloom around early March until June. I would love to put a hive right in the middle of this field. I have access to bees that are now in a storage shed that I can capture. I know it's probably not a good time or idea to disturb those bees as they are well established. I have also thought about doing a split from my other hive. My question is one of timing. How long before the bloom should the bees be in the hive in order to establish themselves in the field? Brood rearing has slowed down considerably at this time of year so in this climate when can I expect it to pick up so as to bolster the hive. Thanks again in advance.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you see drones flying, remove the colony and put it in a hive box. Probably March.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

What Iddee said for doing the cut out of the bees in the shed.
    To split your other hive you want to wait till the colony builds up and you have enough brood that removing a few frames will not affect the hive and weaken the colony. The splitting manipulation can be used to help the colony by suppressing swarming. In San Diego I would think mid April leave about 7 trames of brood with bees to cover 10 frames in the original hive and make a split out of the bees and brood that exceeds those numbers.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

given your stated southern location I would think even a bit earlier than Iddee's suggestion. I would try to get them established in the box as soon as the weather warms enough and then apply some sugar water feed to get them a good start < all done perhaps 30 days ahead of the first bloom.

as to you last question on or about January 5 (an at almost any location in the northern hemisphere) brood rearing begins to increase at a steadily increasing pace. As far as I know part of this increase is temperature dependent but the largest variable to consider is the steady increasing length of day light hours.

5. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I think that what Iddee was getting at with the timing is that if you miss or damage the queen in the cutout, the bees have a half decent chance to re-queen. If there are no drones yet they can't. Same for a split.