What to add on hive next?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bwwertz, Jun 8, 2012.

1. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Hello, everyone! Been a while, I know! I've been crazy busy with soccer, but the season's over for a bit and today was the last day of school for my little ones! YAY!!!! Rising 1st grader and 3rd grader! My, how they grow!!!! I've also been very busy on my rare days off helping a new beek up the road try to get started and learning, etc. etc. It's been a great adventure for me because I get to learn and teach and stay out of my hives all the time! =) And.....I started the year with 2 hives and now I have 7!!!! (2 of which are still in the nuc phase).
    So...... I finally got a chance to work my hives today for the first time in a while - and would love some advice!
    I have two hives running single deeps in a watermelon patch (that aren't blooming yet) - both started from nucs. All are fully drawn and ready to add more on top. I have tons of requests for honey, but isn't the nectar flow "off" at the moment? I was going to add a deep to each hive since I have foundation that needs to be drawn. Still feed them with a hive top feeder/1:1 sugar syrup to help them draw out?
    I have two medium supers on top of two other single deep hives (with plastic frames, coated with sugar water) and they haven't drawn them out. =( Should I coat them again? I only have two hive top feeders and one entrance feeder. I'd really like to meet the demand for honey, but most people don't seem to understand that I can't just go say "hey girls, I'd like a few gallons today. Thank you!" I'd rather have my hives going strong into the winter. What's the latest I should "rob" them in my area? (Southeastern NC)
    Looking foward to hearing all the advice and input!
    Thank you!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The flow has dwindled in this area drastically. I doubt you will get comb drawn this year other than from feed, and you don't want sugar honey, so your honey will all stay on the bees. You may still not have enough for winter without feed. Look for the honey next year.

3. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

I thought there would be another strong flow in about a month or so - around when the watermelons and such would start flowering? I'm also trying to plant a lot of bee favorite flowers (asters, poppies, sunflowers, melons, pumpkins, bee balm & peppermint). Should I just try the deeps and see what happens? Is it because we had such a mild winter?
    Thank you, Iddee!

4. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I had added a super with empty foundation Memorial Day weekend. I checked last weekend and they hadn't touched it. I don't know what happened, but I peeped in today and they are drawing pretty heavy again. I have several white crape myrtle trees in the yard that started blooming recently. The bees have been gobbling them up like you wouldn't believe. I don't know if this is part of it or not. I have even more pink crape myrtles. They haven't started blooming, yet. I hope the girls like the pink as much as the white!

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

July and August is normally a dearth here. What they make in June will be eaten then. Sept. and Oct. may or may not give them enough to last the winter.