What to charge for cutouts and trapouts?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Indiana Dave, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Okay, a couple of real rookie questions here for you guys who do trapout and cutouts.

1. What is the going rate for doing a trapout?

2. I assume when you do a cutout, you put the structure/house/building back together? (That's probably a stupid question and would be assumed by the structure owner that you do so)

3. I'm sure this last question depends on the amount of work you put into a cutout...What is fair to charge for doing a cutout?

After reading all of the cutouts and trapouts some of you southern folks do, and seeing so few people here advertising here, I figured I could make a little side money and increase my hive numbers doing a few of these.

Thanks for your help!!

2. tommyt

tommyt New Member

I can't set a price on either cut or trap-outs
    Reason is, each and every one (IMHO)has its own obstacles
    I also leave it up to the owner replace or make
    arrangement for what is taken down to remove
    the colony.
    Price's I have charged that may help
    however I feel I am on the low side.
    trap-out 6 foot off the ground close to my home $100,
    all I did was built a makeshift platform for the hive box,
    remove it when complete.
    I've done soffit cut-outs that have been 8ft,long
    8 to 10 foot off the ground and charged 300
    I feel I could have charged 500 for but its not a living, I'm
    doing it for I want the bees
    I charge because I don't want to do too many for free
    I feel it will hurt the pro's price
    I guess it comes down to how much your time is worth
    How long you will be at it Plus materials

Tommyt

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I know that the cut-out a friend of mine and I did on a second story dormer of a Motel cost the owners (two elderly sisters) about $500. My friend (carpenter) got the money for use of staging, tools, etc. and he went back and fixed up all the drywall we removed. I got the bees and made a few $$ selling the story to a local publication.
    [​IMG]

I guess it would depend on two things as to what to charge. What is it worth to you, and what is it worth to them! Most folks around here wouldn't dream of paying in the 100's to have bees removed, they would just kill them instead. If I want the bees I have to figure out a price that both of us can live with.
    When they're easy like this one that was in an old rotten barn nearby, it's not much more than gas money. The owner let me use his chainsaw to open up the wall and said don't worry about putting anything back, he just wanted the bees saved.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

There's almost nobody around here that does removals so there is no standard or set price, you kind of have to feel your way around the price.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Whatever you charge, I advise you to NOT make any repairs.

It is very likely that a new swarm will move into the old cavity. If so, who is going to pay for the second removal?
    If you did the removal and repairs, you will. If you made the removal and someone else did the repair, it isn't your liability because you didn't do the repair. It isn't their liability. They aren't bee removers, they are only carpenters.

5. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

As a carpenter, I can say that the repair would cost more than most would want to pay. Cheeper to poison. So you have to sell the need for bees, thus the cutout/save.

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I charge $200. -$500. for a trap out and $50. per hr. for a cut out with a minimum of $300 and a cap of $750. plus the cost of any special rental tools (scafflod/manlift) and a sprayed bee fee. I explaine to the customer what a trap out is and what a cut out is and the pros and cons of both, and that I DO NOT MAKE REPAIRS after a cut out. I have them sign an agreement for their choice plus a liability waiver. And I get paid in cash before I leave at the end of the job or I turn the bees loose :D . Jim

7. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

:thumbsup: A BIG thanks guys! That gives me a place to start. I have several lined up for this spring and want to be ready.

Printed several posts from the forum on Bee Vacs and plan on making one pretty soon~with a little more attention paid to my table saw... I unwillingly participated in a small duel with that devil last night! LOL-not really :cry: I am very fortunate to have kept from cutting off my thumb. Note to self...'push sticks are not for pansies.'

8. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Yep be careful its hard to work a smoker without thumbs :D Jim

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Depends, business or individual and do you have to rent anything to get up to the bees, such as a boom lift? You have to cover the costs of that equipment for each trip out to the site... plus all your other costs, and you could have to make 4-6 trips out there even if everything goes smoothly.

No, I don't. I'm not a sheet rock installer, I'm not a painter, I'm not a roofer, and I'm not a siding installer, I'm a beekeeper. I let them know what it's going to take to remove the bees and that they are responsible for any repairs.

Depends, business or individual? If it's a business that you're cutting them out for I would say $500-$1500 is a fair rate. For an individual I would say $100-$300. Depending upon if you have to rent any equipment to get up to where the bees are, etc.