What to do if i get a swarm?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by TheWoodsman, Apr 24, 2011.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Say a swarm moves in, what can i do to make them more likely to stay.

Another route...

If i get a swarm in a bucket how do i go about putting them into my hive and not having them all fly away?

Thanks

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

3. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

What do i do to make this syrup? And by close you mean leave the way in open right? I dont wont to lock them in.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

1 to 1 syrup is one pound of sugar to to one pint of water. It is thin and stimulates a flow which will make the bees build comb and the queen to lay eggs.

I have had better success by just putting the bees in the hive and closing the top, leaving the entrance open.

5. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

thanks, i appreciate it.

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yes, he was only talking about lifting up the top to dump them in, then closing the top back up. But the entrance should always stay open, otherwise you'll just have dead bees the next day.

7. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

What about instead of dumping them in i put a board ramp to the hive entrance becuase i heard that dumping the bees might make them leave but if they walk in on thier own...they might stay more. Anyone have a preference or experience on this, thanks. Just wondering is all.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would "dump" them in, gently of course. You want to make sure that the queen in that swarm ends up in that box!
    If you allow them to walk in (and they may decide not to) there is always the chance that the queen may take flight and remember, where she goes they will all go!

9. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

thank you, and if there is comb inside they might stay right. What about shuold i put lemon grass inside too? What about sugar water?

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Comb will certainly prove to very attractive to a swarm. A little lemon grass oil (drop or two) will help as well.
    Once the swarm is in their new home, feed, feed, feed! Swarms are always in prime comb building mode and they can draw a huge amount of comb in very short order (something they are geared up to do having just left their original home). They require fuel to build this new comb so sugar syrup is a must. (2 parts sugar to 1 part water)
    Swarms are valued for their comb building abilities (as well as their cheap price tag).

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

But NO sugar water before the swarm moves in.

12. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Thank you both for the information

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

You're on the right track Woodsman! I don't think you'll have any trouble at all... except with trying to be too gentle with dumping them in... lol I have learned to shake the branch as hard as I can. The harder the shake, the more end up in the box, and the better the odds of them staying becomes. A piece of drawn comb will REALLY help as well, as will the feed... but I have not had much luck using lemongrass oil. Hopefully it works better for you than it does for me.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Shake vertically, not horizontally.

15. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Good point Iddee... horizontal shakes tend to end with being covered in bees and very few hitting the box.