Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say a swarm moves in, what can i do to make them more likely to stay.

Another route...

If i get a swarm in a bucket how do i go about putting them into my hive and not having them all fly away?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
TheWoodsman said:
Say a swarm moves in, what can i do to make them more likely to stay.feed them 1 to 1 syrup and leave them alone for several days

Another route...

If i get a swarm in a bucket how do i go about putting them into my hive and not having them all fly away? I do not run any TBH, but I would suggest just dumping them in, letting them settle, closing up the top, feed syrup and leave them alone for several days.

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do i do to make this syrup? And by close you mean leave the way in open right? I dont wont to lock them in.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
1 to 1 syrup is one pound of sugar to to one pint of water. It is thin and stimulates a flow which will make the bees build comb and the queen to lay eggs.

I have had better success by just putting the bees in the hive and closing the top, leaving the entrance open.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, i appreciate it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
And by close you mean leave the way in open right?
Yes, he was only talking about lifting up the top to dump them in, then closing the top back up. But the entrance should always stay open, otherwise you'll just have dead bees the next day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about instead of dumping them in i put a board ramp to the hive entrance becuase i heard that dumping the bees might make them leave but if they walk in on thier own...they might stay more. Anyone have a preference or experience on this, thanks. Just wondering is all.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I would "dump" them in, gently of course. You want to make sure that the queen in that swarm ends up in that box!
If you allow them to walk in (and they may decide not to) there is always the chance that the queen may take flight and remember, where she goes they will all go!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you, and if there is comb inside they might stay right. What about shuold i put lemon grass inside too? What about sugar water?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Comb will certainly prove to very attractive to a swarm. A little lemon grass oil (drop or two) will help as well.
Once the swarm is in their new home, feed, feed, feed! Swarms are always in prime comb building mode and they can draw a huge amount of comb in very short order (something they are geared up to do having just left their original home). They require fuel to build this new comb so sugar syrup is a must. (2 parts sugar to 1 part water)
Swarms are valued for their comb building abilities (as well as their cheap price tag).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you both for the information

·
Registered
978 Posts
You're on the right track Woodsman! I don't think you'll have any trouble at all... except with trying to be too gentle with dumping them in... lol I have learned to shake the branch as hard as I can. The harder the shake, the more end up in the box, and the better the odds of them staying becomes. A piece of drawn comb will REALLY help as well, as will the feed... but I have not had much luck using lemongrass oil. Hopefully it works better for you than it does for me.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Good point Iddee... horizontal shakes tend to end with being covered in bees and very few hitting the box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts