what to do with half-full supers?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrun, Oct 5, 2012.

1. riverrun

riverrun New Member

I tried putting the inner cover between the hive body and the super to get the bees to 'rob' out the half full supers down into their hive bodies for the winter. Doesn't seem to be working. (the super is going to come off for winter)

What do I do with these half-filled super frames?
    Do I keep them in a box for next spring?
    Do I freeze them?

I'm surprised I can't really find much on this topic - surely everyone deals with this.
    :confused:

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

What's your location?
    I've kept a half-filled open nectar super in my basement over the winter. Stacked up on a table (mouse proof) and sealed well within double heavy plastic trash bags. Our basement is cool but dry and not freezing.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

like omie said, where do you live and keep bees in the united states? this will get you quicker answers to your question for your specific area or ideas from other keeps in your area. if you have room in the freezer, you can put them in there, if not store them where they are cool, dry, and covered. mine are stored in an outbuilding, and they freeze in the winter. in summer, the building is cool and dry.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

generally you always want to protect any comb from mice and wax moth.

is there some reason the super is a problem where it is? given a bit of time I would suspect the hive will remove whatever honey might be in the box and take it downward. scratching any capping will speed up this process.

often time these kind of question for me come down to a matter of degree. for example if you had 5 full frames all capped I might stow these away for some spring time feed.... if the 5 frames was just a bit of honey here and there mostly uncapped I might set the box on it's front or back (pointing upward) some distance from any hives and let the hives rob out the honey directly. a day or so later I would then stow the box and frames in a shed.

5. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I had 5 partially filled and capped frames that i stored over the winter and spring in my freezer. Caught a swarm in late May and gave it to them a week later.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

scratch any capped honey open leave it on top until there is no flow they will bring it down. Letting us know what area you are located in will help with the answers:thumbsup:

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Please don't start the bees robbing by placing the super away from the hive. read any of the treads where robbing got started. The secret to forcing the bees to pull honey out of the cells and restore it is to contaminate the honey. Scratch the cappings and dunk each end of the frame in a pail of water and place above the inner cover the bees have no choice but to remove the honey and restore it.