What to do with wax

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BeepsBees, Aug 11, 2016.

1. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

What can I do with pieces like this? There's just empty cells and a few spots of pollen ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1470946007.119378.jpg

Attached Files:

2. camero7

camero7 Member

What are you using for smoker fuel? When I had my top bar hives I would just take out one bar at a time, slide them over and keep that small opening. I seldom even needed a smoker. I suspect you opened it up more than you needed to. Beeps, we've all had those days. You'll learn from this and the bees will recover. I've killed thousands of bees and they are still flourishing. Cheer up!

3. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

4. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

5. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I was told to keep feeding them. Idk when not to feed

6. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Maybe that's why is kind of watery :-/ I guess I shouldn't have? I was told on this forum not to stop feeding them then asked about harvesting the honey in a different thread later on. I guess I should have mentioned that... Next question is when can I stop feeding them and how long after I stop is it ok to harvest?

7. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Sooooo I don't have "honey supers" I just have too bars. If they are storing honey does that mean I need to stop feeding them now? And when do I begin feeding them again? Is all my honey un harvestable since I've feed them and they've probably stored some in there? I don't get how not to harvest any honey that's been made when I fed them if I've fed them at any point during their honey storing. This sucks. I just made little jars of comb and honey to give as Christmas gifts.

8. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

9. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I don't really understand when I should be feeding them in. TBH. I am reading about it and they keep mentioning not to feed when u put a honey super in but I don't have a honey super. Just a plain on top bar hive. When should I not be feeding them and when can I harvest the honey how long after stopping ? Sorry I'm so confused. This blog is giving directions to feed each month. At no point does it say "this is a month u shouldn't feed them" and like I said, if I've fed them at any point in their hive life is the honey always going to be no good to harvest since at some point it's had sugar water in it? ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1470998261.158266.jpg

10. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Beep, I hate to tell you that you have sugar honey, there not pure honey. As long as you haven't put anything but pure sugar in the blend I guess it is edible, but you surely can't sell. That is some of the reasons I decided to go with the langstroth hives. I guess you could mark the frames that has been installed when you have been feeding, and harvest from frames when you are not feeding. If in Florida they forage all year I don't think I would feed at all in your case, unless you have to treat in some fashion; essential oils, medications ectopic. I also didn't like that with the TBH you always have to destroy the precious comb to harvest because honey is a big part of my interest.

11. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Feeding them in my opinion should only be done if you need to build their stores up before a winter break in foraging, or to treat with a med.

12. camero7

camero7 Member

Quit feeding on a good flow or when they have drawn out the # of bars you want them to. That honey you harvested it probably about the strength of honey you get at the store. But I wouldn't harvest until I quit feeding and the bees were filling out comb with nectar.

13. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

So even tho I stole a lot I should stop feeding? They have nectar stored up and apparently we are in a flow but idk how to otherwise tell we are in a honey flow. I feel bad stealing from them and stopping feeding them LOL. I want them to have lots of energy to draw out more comb and fill out the hive because I'm nervous about the SHB I have been seeing.

14. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

So maybe I should only feed during the winter in FL?

15. camero7

camero7 Member

You should only feed when they need it. You need to be observant of the landing board, the flowers in the area and how heavy the hive is. those 3 things will tell you if you need to feed. When you are first starting out [like now] you need to feed until the comb is drawn to your satisfaction. then feeding depends on the previous 3 things.

16. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I watch the landing board. So a good flow is when they're coming in with pollen pants? Because they are. And there's a ton of bees. ...

17. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

So once they make more comb I'll stop. But then won't some of the honey be unpure that I harvest ? Or by the time I harvest will they have been through the honey enough times that the sugar water will be gone?

18. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Heavy hive is dense bees right?

19. camero7

camero7 Member

No, pollen and nectar are different. Watch the landing board to see if the incomers without pollen have distended abdomens and are flying "heavy". You'll also be able to tell there is a flow by the traffic. If there are hundreds of bees coming and going and not hanging around the hive and the entrance there is a flow on.

20. camero7

camero7 Member

By next spring most of the sugar syrup will be used up and new nectar will take it's place. There should be no need to feed next spring.