What to do with winter kill

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lazarus4, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Hi
    This past winter in Iowa and other parts has been pretty hard on the bees. Some have wrapped the colonies and other haven't. Some made it and others didnt. My question is this: I had 2 colonies that didnt make it. They had extra honey but wouldnt really move to it so they either starved or froze. As I am cleaning up the frames I dropped one of them by accident and out popped a bunch of dead bees. Should I leave them for the new bees to take care of OR clean them the frames the best that I can? The comb is a year old but seems to be very dry and flaky. Do I remove it or let it be.

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

As Gary posted ..... Welcome again to the forum.

If I have some comb with dead bees in/on it I treat it in 2 ways. For bees on the surface of the comb, I gently brush them off trying not to damage the comb. For bees loose in the comb, I hold the frame flat and give a downward shake ending in a jerk to dislodge the dead bees.

Removing dead bees or dead sealed brood is not critical. When the frame goes into a live hive the bees will clean and repair the comb.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I use an air hose to blow the bees out of the comb. I also spray with a weak bleach solution.