What to do?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jul 19, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

When in doubt, ask!

I removed a couple of queens from my two frame mating nucs and caged them. These are actually in a deep with 4 compartments (non removable walls). These look just like the ones I did on an observation hive job I just did (see pics below) The queens came out of the center 2 compartments.
    henry 027.jpg henry 030.jpg henry 032.jpg
    I am now staring at 2 nucs with 2 frames each, covered with bees and brood. I don't really want them to start raisng a new queen and was wondering if there is any easy way to join them with a couple of the other 2 frame compartments that have new queens that are laying.
    Any advice?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would put the queenrite nuc in a 5 frame box and shake the queenless nuc out on the ground 3 feet in front of the queenrite.

They will walk in and be accepted.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

What Iddee said. But i would transfer the frame with the bees into a 5 frame nuc just make sure the queen is in between frames of her own bees. Wait over night before combining so the bees realize they are queenless, and the other queen phermons have faded so the queen doesn't rush into the added frames with the bees still loyal to the previous queen.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thank you gentlemen, this information will be safely stored in my memory banks.
    When I went out to do the deed today I discovered that one of the 2 remaining queenright nucs was in fact not. As I stood there trying to to decide how to go about it, an idea struck me. I removed the Inner cover lids on the 4 compartments, lay newspaper down, and set an empty deep (with foundation) on top. I figure the 3 compartments will eventually go through the paper and be combined with the 1 compartment with the laying queen. Once they have done that I will simply move all the frames up and take away the deep with the 4 compartments.
    It should work this time, but for future times your ideas are the way to go! :thumbsup:

5. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I used a push in cage and vanilla syrup mist to do a similar manipulation. The bees chew under the cage fairly quick, but at leas the queen is safe during the initial commotion. queencage.jpg

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Not sure about you ole boys up north. Down here in the Beekeepingforums.com great plains division. The first thing we do is dress black like a ninja. Leave the smoker and veil in the garage. Smack the side of the queenless hive good and hard with a ball peen hammer. All the while swinging your arms around like a mad man. It takes them about 4 days for them to settle down and realize they are queenless. At which point it is to late for them to make queen cells. However once the swelling goes down and this didnt work I would suggest Iddees approach as plan B

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

"DAD GUMMIT WHY DONT THE BEES READ THE SAME forums WE DO."
    They'd be laughing so hard that they wouldn't sting. :rolling::rotfl: