What To Move Into A Super???

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Dbure, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Several weeks ago my husband and I added frames to additional deep hive bodies to add to the top of each of our 4 hives. As Perrybee and others suggested, we moved a few of the frames from the lower box into the new upper chambers to give the bees a little incentive to move on up. It seems to have done well because a couple of days ago we opened the top of each hive to work on ventilation and noticed that the upper boxes seemed to be very busy with bees. When we initially did this we noticed that each brood chamber had what looked to be a couple of pure drawn combs filled with capped honey.

What I am wondering is, when we go to add supers on top of the two lower boxes we have designated for brood, is it acceptable to move the drawn combs filled with honey up into them? Everyday the bearding grows larger on two of the 4 hives which leads me to believe that those two hives have been growing quickly. Would removing the frames of honey into the supers and then replacing them with fresh frames of foundation in the brood chamber give the queen additional space to lay? Or would the workers even draw it out for her to use or would they fill them with honey again? I know they make up their own minds how they will use the frames, but I am hoping to coax the queen into building the colony. From what I was reading in a different posting, the queen will not cross frames filled with honey and pollen. :confused:

Is there some plan of arrangement that any of you use when manipulating the frames for maximum production?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When putting the empty frames in the brood box, place them near the center. Place the full frames of honey in the super closer to the outside. It will work fine that way.

PS. People in SHB territory ignore this post. It won't work for you. That's why we require your location when you sign up to the forum.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Dbure writes:
    From what I was reading in a different posting, the queen will not cross frames filled with honey and pollen.

tecumseh:
    not a bad general statement but invariable you will find out it doesn't always hold. it may not even hold during the majority of occasions. such 'painting with a large brush' will almost invariable get you into trouble. after all the girls are girls and they are not so amused at following along with a bee keeper's rules.

you have a good deal of latitude in doing what you are suggesting here. generally you don't want to 'completely' break up the brood nest with foundation and any capped honey you would want to move up and out of the brood nest . for myself most times when I reshuffle the deck I want to push solid frames of pollen and frames that have a lot of drone combs towards the 'ouside' of the brood nest. when I decide to add foundation to the brood nest I generally add this at the 2nd slot from the outside walls of the box. capped honey should not be looked at like uncapped honey since the uncapping is not something the girls do without considerable thought.

I am not certain if you are running 8 or 10 frame equipment???? If you were seeing serious bearding as the temperature begins to get really hot (what was it Sherman said about the state of Texas???) I would highly suggest you think about reducing the number of frames by 1 in each box. this seems to help considerable in the ventilation. I will also tell you that in past years with 10 frames in the box the ventilation is so limited that I have had individual frames and on occasion whole boxes melt down into puddles and watch as the honey flowed out the front door.

4. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Thank you Iddee, I have updated my location. It is so interesting that beekeeping can change tactics according to such specific location. Humans may not always know the differeces between areas, but the bees do. :shock: :-D

Tecumseh, I have 9 frames per box and have a screened ventilation board in the tops. I am sure that ventilation will be even more important as we move into the hottest part of summer and moving some of the frames up without replacing them seems to be an option I had not considered.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OOPS! My mistake. I was thinking about duo-core when I replied. "New Jersey"

Better listen to Tec on this one. Sorry