What to paint and a question about frame assembly

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Cupcakus, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Cupcakus

Cupcakus New Member

Hi all,

So I'm still in the process of building my hives for next Spring. I've been painting all of the boxes on the outside with two coats of some left over deck stain I had around.

Painting the boxes is easy, but I'm unsure about the other parts.

Should I paint the outside edge of my queen excluders? They will be on and exposed to the elements quite a bit I would think.

I wasn't planning on painting any part of the inner cover.

For the screened bottom board should I paint the whole thing? top and bottom?

My other question is: When assembling the frames I was using a 1 1/2" staple from my pneumatic stapler and on a few of the frames the staple ended up blowing out the inside of the side bar towards the inside of the frame a little bit. The foundation still goes in no problem, and I bent the protruding metal to be as flush as possible with the edge of the frame, but I worry this will cause issues later on, like they won't build comb around those areas. Since I glued the top and bottom bars down it's basically impossible to get those staples out now, so I'll have to order more frames if this is not going to work.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Don't worry about the staples the bees wont mind and will build comb over them. stack all the wooden ware and paint the exposed wood around the outside it loos better protects the parts from exposure to the sun. the bottom board paint protects the wood a bit Some I have are painted others never got painted. they both have stood up well

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Just hope the deck stain color is not to dark that it attracts to much heat from the sun. Pastel colors are good.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Cupcakus! Yeap, what Apis said, anything exposed, I paint. The inner cover is an exception because it is protected under a proper telescoping lid. So, no paint on that.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

As said above, I paint everything that is exposed. I also paint the outside top of the outer cover before covering it with an aluminum cover.

Don't worry about the blown out staples either, I just clip them short and use a hammer and screw driver to set them flush or into the wood. Bees really don't care about most of the things we are trying to make pretty or perfect, just look inside of a bee tree one day and you will understand. they are very ingenious about making the best use of the available space they have.

6. Cupcakus

Cupcakus New Member

It's most certainly not a pastel color, a "redwood" stain I think, but it ends up looking like a deep orange color. I've seen much darker colored hives in my area so I figured it would be ok.

7. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I painted the outside only of all my hives with an exterior dull white latex paint. I didn't paint anything inside because I didn't want to introduce any chemicals into the hive bodies. It was also my thought that feral bees work quite well in tree hollows that are not painted. I have read of hives standing up for 20 years that were never painted. Of course, that would depend on your local weather.