What type of bees do you have?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gator_56, May 10, 2012.

What type of bees do you keep.

1. Italians

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. Germans

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Carniolans

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Caucasians

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Russians

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  6. Buckfasts

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. Other

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

I just got started on all this and like many of you I did some extensive research and reading before my first bees arrived. I think my toughest decision was what kind of bee to go with. I ultimately ended up choosing Russians. I'm curious to see how many people keep each type of bee and then please make a post as to why you keep that type of bee.

2. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I started with a package of Italian bees 4 years ago, because that was recommended in beeschool and that's the type that were being conveniently delivered in my area, heh. But I'm convinced I have "mutts" now.

In my original hive locations, there was a wild colony in the tree in my front yard, and I saw at least 5 swarms in the area every spring (not from my hive) and I know in recent years many local keepers have started getting some russian and some carniolans queens. With that many other types and unknown wild and kept colonies around, I often wonder how much my bee's genetics have changed.

However, my two hives now are both 'directly descended', through swarms and splits, from my very first package, so I imagine the vast majority of my hives' genetic makeup is still Italian.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

mutts.. all mine are mutts.... still most have a bit of italian accent <all very exotic sounding ladies.

truthfully all the responses here (or at least those that originate in the US) should be other.

4. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Agree. And if you have a relatively "purebred" queen now, once they supersede you'll have mutts too.

5. Jim 134

Jim 134 New Member

Honey Bees

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Mutts now from feral hives/swarms, started with Italtian queens in packages but they were replaced over time with locally (free flight) mated queens.

7. guyross2

guyross2 New Member

Could the drone colonies genetics improve me and my neighboring beekeepers mutts? I put drone foundation in my best hives in hopes of having show dog quality drone mutts. Though one hive has become a drone lounge so I have pulled some drone frames. In bee school we were taught the beekeeper was the first line of defense from AHB. Sunkist are truly mite resistant and would like my mutts and neighboring mutts to have some of there DNA. Some of the Italian packages I got this year had dark queens in them. A friend from that region on Georgia said they call them Black Beauty's .

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Tec, kinda with still had the Italian's I had in Upstate NY, lol bet the thief and the vandals would have new found respect for irate bees lol

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Mutts, I really have little idea. :confused:

10. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Started with Italians, ended up with mutts and love em'!

11. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

Unless you replace the queen yourself...correct?

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Mutts, i really doubt there are any pure bred bees in the U.S. of A. Of course i guess i could call the queens i raise from my hives, pure bred Brooks Queens.:lol: Jack

13. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I just started this year. The nuc I bought had Carniolian "cross" queens which I guess means they let their queens mate normally and so they have little control on the other set(s) of chromosomes. The package looks italian but the queen is supposed to be Carniolian so I'll see a switch here in the next month or two. Swarm hive are purebred mutts.

14. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

I start every line I can find in Florida for the queen rearing class in July. The rest of the year they are all Italian Cordovan (Aurea) or Buckfast, Belgian Buckfast.

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I have been getting swarms and cutouts all up and down the west coast of florida, they are all mutts and now they are all breading together so now i have super mutts:lol:

16. Omie

Omie New Member

Go Mutts! lol!

17. Marbees

Marbees Member

Mutts in two yards, and pure bred mutts (buckfast) in third.:wink:

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

good thread gator and a great poll,
    i keep russian hybrids, winter hardy, very conservative on winter stores= 0 emergency feeding and minimal spring feeding. they build up a little slower in spring, but explode when they do, making for good divides or nucleus hives, and these 'new hives' build quickly with russian queens/cells harvested. very hygenic, tidy, bees, low to zero mite population, and very good honey producers. russkies have some management quirks and characteristics different from other lines. i have been keeping them since first available in the u.s.a., they survive and thrive in my climate. you will like them.

btw, my veil is off to you for doing research:hi:

:grin:

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

guyross writes:
    Some of the Italian packages I got this year had dark queens in them

tecumseh:
    if you go to glenn apiary web site they have a nice explanation of their product including the various italian bees they sell. one variation in the italian bee is a black variety that looks quite a bit like a Carnolian (which is really not the same thing as a new world Carnolian) which is a evolutionary cousin of the Italian honey bee.

there has been no live bees imported into the US since the 1920... all the stiff brought in between then and now has been in the form of drone sperm or eggs. the resources required to then make queens and hives from these takes live bees.... so from the get go all the new varieties are of mixed linage. in the current time frame most of these resources are of significant italian origin.

20. Tia

Tia New Member

Started with Buckfasts 10 yrs ago; bought 7 hives of Italians off a retiring beek; have retrieved swarms and bees in building and have requeened only twice w/Italians, so I'd have to say mutts as well.