What type of equipment for the new beekeeper

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Brooklyn, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Brooklyn

Brooklyn New Member

Thank to everyone's help on this forum. I have almost finished my first equipment list. So hear goes.

1 Bee Brush . I think it will come in handy
    1 manipulation Cloth. not sure why
    2 10 frame Entrance reducers.
    1 10 inch Hive tool .
    100 5 5/8 crimp wire small cell wax foundation. I am looking for all wax no wire? I am going to visit the Fat/Beeman he should have what I am looking for.
    108 6 1/4 Grooved top and bottom frames.
    1 Pro stainless steel Smoke engine w/shield and finger shield cone top.
    12 6 5/8 Commercial Cypress supers . I am going with ten frame only because you can get more stuff made for the ten frame then you can for the eight frame.
    2 Bottom Boards Cypress Commercial
    1 Frame perch. don't know why
    2 Migratory covers Help keep the hive cool all wood no metal
    2 Vertical Slatted Racks. Help keep the hive cooler less work for the bees so they can make more honey. Also might help with swarming.

I am still up in the air on what type of bees and were to buy them. I will be going with nucs for my first year.

So what do you all think? any equipment out of line? Do I have to much or not enough?

Please let me know

Brooklyn

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

you need 120 frames and 120 sheets of foundation for 12 boxes w/ ten frames each.

Why small cell??

other than that looks OK

G3

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Fatbeeman uses only small cell, that's probably why. To me, it's just an added expense. Of course, not for FB because he makes his own foundation.

I would go with wedge top, split bottom frames. They can be used with all wax foundation or starter strips. Grooved frames will limit what you can use.

My guess is, you will use 4 to 6 mediums the first year. 8 the first 2 years combined on two hives. I think your expectations are a bit high. I also hope I am wrong, and you need even more. Good Luck.

PS. Tell Don, the Fatbeeman, that Iddee invites him to come on the forum. Thanks.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nothing wrong with having extra boxes around for those unexpected swarm calls. ;)

G3

5. Brooklyn

Brooklyn New Member

Iddee, I just want to make sure I have enough . I will be starting out with 5 frame nucs. Do you still think 8 Mediums will be enough?

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Are the nucs you are buying deeps or shallows?

G3

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I agree with g3. A few extra never hurts. Buy the 12, but assemble 4 and refrigerate the rest of the wax in packs of 10. The coolness will keep it fresh if you don't use it for a couple of years, but you will have it if you do. There's no way possible to predict what the bees will do. Also, your 2 hives may well be 4 by year's end, then you would need them all.

8. Brooklyn

Brooklyn New Member

G 3 I am getting all mediums

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

HA my bad I meant deep or medium, not shallow :frustrated:

G3

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Tell me about it! :lol:

G3 has some bees from a swarm I caught last year and didn't have a single free box to put them in.

I'm sure glad you took them off my hands, too. I didn't know what to do with them!

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I have frequently posted about my personal preferences--and I stay with it--all deep supers for 2 brood chambers, and extracting supers totally understand about the weight difference--am a big guy, ( with newly fixed back ) and deeps take a little bit longer to draw out and fill by the bees, rather take off, 2 deeps then 4 mediums. Again is my personal preferences and maintains total uniformity, another good idea for beekeepers.