What type of wood to use?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by queen_bee09, May 28, 2010.

1. queen_bee09

queen_bee09 New Member

Hi!
    My husband is quite a handy guy, and would like to make some deep hive bodies. We have access to a sawmill, so its a good time to do it. We know that pine and cedar are commonly used, but we were wondering if there are any other types of wood that are suitable for this use.
    Thanks!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Pine and cypress are the norm. Cedar, as I know cedar, which is really Juniper, repels insects. Bees are insects.

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

The hard woods like maple oak and ash would work but are heavey with out any frames or bees in them. They also require a bunch more maintaince than Pine or cedar.

:mrgreen: Al

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

al writes:
    ash would work

tecumseh:
    does here and everyday<---- inside joke.

white pine is a good choice. most cabinet workers know which species of wood is easiest to work (cut and such) and warps as little as possible. weight would be the next most important variable for myself.

5. duck nutt

duck nutt New Member

cedar trees don't repel bees....al least not the hive in my neighbors cedar tree...maybe they don't know they shouldn't be in there..lol

pine, spruce, or cypress would be the easiest(to me anyway) they are lighter and easier to build with. hardwoods, like oak and walnut, are going to require you to pre-drill holes before nails can go thru them...

cypress would need to be sealed due to its absorbtion of water....it will swell and shrink in the humidity if not sealed

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

You want light and tough wood. I don't know what kind of wood they make furniture out of, but it's the toughest wood I've ever encountered and is also light, that would be ideal. But, if you're ok with less than ideal, pine is cheap, and lasts plenty long enough to be a good choice.