What uses do you find for fermented honey?

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by efmesch, May 29, 2013.

1. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Once a customr of mine left her container of honey open for a long time. Being hygroiscopic, it absorbed moisture from the air and reduced its sugar concentration down to a level that enabled it to ferment. More recently, someone else asked me about honey he had that smelled like it wa fermented.
    In both cases, the question is what would you do with the fermented honey (assuming you do not want to throw it out)?

2. pturley

pturley New Member

I like mine on toast with a bit of butter...

... but seriously, if it's just starting to bubble, it isn't likely to ferment very far. You could warm it up or store it with desiccants to evaporate the excess water content, or, simply put is at the front of the shelf to use it up before it ferments too far.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

from what you described ef:
    no sugar in our household, just honey.....

i'd use it in marinating and grilling....:grin:

winter months, marinating, baking, broiling, and or slobbed in spicy chili or whatever concoction might be in a slow cooker, crock pot or dutch oven; ribs, shredded beef, shredded pork, roasts, etc......

and paul add cornbread, biscuits, pancakes, waffles......:grin:

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Isn't that what they call mead? Seriously, random wild yeasts can be pretty unsavory or quite nice. You could heat it to kill the action but likely no way to get rid of the flavor already developed.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  5. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Never had any of my own to ferment but I would use it in cooking as others have said.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Does anyone have experience using fermented honey in baking or cooking?

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

EF, I think lots of it has been used so; mother and dad used to do it often but I think there are some serious though not common risks. Fermentation is a broad term having generally good connotations, like making bread, cheese and beverages but could also apply to other organisms that create dangerous even deadly byproducts. Generally boiling should kill them but some organisms take more than a quick boil to do the job. For liability issues what I would do myself might be different than what I would like to be quoted on a forum. :wink:

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Keep an open mind, but don't let people throw trash in it!

Okay Frank, you're a man who practices what he preaches. :grin:

9. Ray

Ray Member

What don't kill, fattens! :lol:

10. Crofter

Crofter New Member

That is correct Ray!

We had some milk that was past its better days and some honey that is definitely crystallized; my wife made a rice pudding yesterday that is to die for; definitely not low calorie!