What variety of soybeans have purple blooms?

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by bamabww, Apr 18, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

A local beekeeper told me that purple bloom soybeans were good for honey production and they can be planted in north Alabama through May.

My local extension agent can't find out what variety has a purple bloom. I have about 4 acres I can plant and would like to use it to help my bees and deer could graze the soybeans later on this fall.

Any suggestions?

2. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Just for the record, I finally found that Jake Soybeans have a purple bloom (and are hard to find in Northwest Alabama). There is a supply near Killen, Alabama though.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

bamabww,I have heard some of my club members say the bees work the purple bloom soy bean better.(never heard the type). Have you thought about planting bucwheat? i usually get three blooms per season out of it. The bees will work it in the mourning till around 11:00am, then you won't find a bee on it. We have put it out for food plots where we hunt and i have bees,and in the fall the deer eat it into the ground. I've had a couple of people say the honey from it is strong but most people love it and want more. :thumbsup: Jack

PS. It brings Doves in also.

4. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Yes, I'm planning on planting at least two acres of Buckwheat, hopefully sometimes later this week. Thanks for the info on deer eating it. I have 5 or 6 that raise each year on my property.