what warrants re queening?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, Jul 1, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

i read b4 that some re queen each season regardless of the queens performance! well i have 6 hives on a pallet and 2 -3 of those are bubbling over with bees. a beek suggested that i re queen the rest because the queen could be slacking. can this be true?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

There could be many reasons why those hives are a little slower than the rest. I would want to eliminate any other possible reasons before I went to the expense of requeening.

3. adamant

adamant Member

i plan on going out there today. what are somethings to look for?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Brood chamber congestion, laying pattern, honey/pollen bound, etc. Sometimes all that is needed to balance hives out is to switch positions in the middle of the day, or a slower hive could use a 2 frame boost of capped brood from a strong one.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

If hives are in various locations, the shaded ones will likely be a bit slower than the ones in full sun.

6. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Perry, what do mean by switching positions in the middle of the day?

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

If you move the hives from one stand to another mid day, the returning foragers will populate the weaker colony. Simply put take hive 1, place it on the spot where hive 2 is, and place hive 2 where hive 1 was.
    Barry

8. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Barry,
    I hope adamant doesn't mine me jumping in here, but I find this to be very interesting. Will the returning foragers be accepted by the guard bees at the "new" hives?

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'll chip in, :lol: Returning foragers are loaded with groceries and even though they may be entering a different house, they are "welcomed" with open arms as long as they are bearing gifts.

10. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Ahah! Makes sense. Don't ever go to a pot luck dinner without a casserole.:grin:

11. adamant

adamant Member

Wow. Some good reply s here. I like the switching of hive possession during the day post. Interesting! Can this strategy be over done?

12. adamant

adamant Member

We are talking rotating the whole hive (honey super s and all ) or just the brood boxes?

13. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Many times if I'm starting nucs I'll place them where a strong hive was and move the strong hive. It's akin to pouring charocoal lighter on a campfire! Really gives the nuc a boost!!

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Correct, the whole thing. This is probably tough to do if you have a couple of honey supers on, but if you really want to, just break the hives down and switch them.

Litefoot - :lol:

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Another consideration is the behavior of the bees coming to the hive. Robbers have a "jerky", "sneaky" way of trying to enter the hive. This sets the guard bees on special duty. These fellows, whose home has been switched on them, come to the entrance innocently, entering as if it is their own home, so the guards don't even bother with them.